Getting a new Powerbook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by phreakout13, Jan 4, 2005.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

I got my 15" 1.5 Ghz refurbed Powerbook today. It's awesome! I've seen them in the apple store, but it's nothing compared to having one of your own. It's so cool and thin and glowy and awesome. I'm calibrating my battery, and I put all of my iTunes songs from my family's eMac onto it. The only problems I'm having are getting used to the keyboard and trackpad. It's sooo awesome! Was anyone else this excited and pleased if and when they got their Powerbooks?

2. SLCentral macrumors regular

Why did you just buy a Powerbook (granted, its refurbed, but still) just a week before MWSF, where there are going to almost def. be PowerBook updates? Not only does this mean faster speeds, but it means lower prices on the previous generation.

3. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

Good point. Meh, I saw a good price on a refurbed one and got it. Plus, even if a new one came out, I'd trust this one more because it's not a first revision, so Apple worked out all of the glitches and such. I guess I should have waited, but someone has to buy up the rest of Apple's stock, so I might as well help out.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

What? You know its most likely just a speed bum, just like the refurbished ones are. This is not a first revision, this is just a processor upgrade, nothing more to it.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I was super exciting when my pb came. Th keyboard/mouse takes some time to get used to. Buy a cheep USB keyboard/mouse, esp a mouse if your going to use it at home.

6. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I would have waited on getting a PB – if you can hold on for a month, I’d say do it – but what the hay, you got a PB, so cheers. :)

I was thrilled when I got my Powerbook. It was (and still is) my first / only Mac. Have you picked up a case or any accessories yet?

7. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

well done

Congratulations on acquiring a new piece of Apple hardware. Hopefully it will bring you many years of service. I remember when I got my PowerBook last May I was through the roof!! I still look at it sometimes and wonder how they got all of that stuff inside a 1" thick aluminium enclosure.

Be prepared for people looking over your shoulder asking what type of computer you have. Show off some 'genie' window minimising (remember to press the shift key to slow it up when you are collapsing windows :p) and some expose as well! Watch for their reaction :cool: Then you can proudly say its an Apple PowerBook. HEH!! :D

Anyway - I'd better step down of my soap box now - it's all yours dude.... :p

aussie_geek

8. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

We have yet to see any proof of this .. so don't mess with somebody's feelings after they buy something ..

9. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I second this... Geesh people, he just got a new PB... Who cares if updates
    might be on on the way. I wouldn't bet on it anyway... Especially if we see an iMac mini.

On a lighter note, congrats!!! The PBs are amazing machines.

10. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

Thanks for the replies guys and gals! Seriously though, even if a new PowerBook G5 came out tomorrow, I wouldn't care :) I loves the PowerBook! I went in a closet earlier too see the keyboard and glowey apple logo, they're so cool. I'm also getting used to my trackpad and keyboard way more quickly than I originally imagined. Cool cool cool :) :) :)

11. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

I went in a closet earlier too see the keyboard and glowey apple logo, [/QUOTE]

Haha .. I did that one on an onsite freelance project .. took the 17" to the bathroom and turned off the light to see the keyboard glow ..
    :eek:

12. SLCentral macrumors regular

My intention was never to mess with his feelings. It just doesn't make much sense to buy a Apple (really, any Apple product) a week before a keynote. I posted a message asking if I should buy the 30" and a G5 I was planning on getting, and everyone told me to wait. Anticipation for a PB update has been greater then an update for those two products, and yet, he bought a PB a week before.

If there were to be a speed bump, what I believe will happen, the current PB's would go down in price, and therefore the current refurbed PB's would also go down in price. Waiting a week could easily have saved $200-$300, most likely.

Whatever, many Apple users don't seem to mind throwing money away. From buying the 20" LCD, to purchasing just days before the keynote...

13. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

New Powerbook

I know how you feel! I got my first Powerbook last September and
    I am very happy with it. I just wish I had more time to play with it.
    I am so busy that for now I am just using it for internet browsing, iphoto and
    itunes and CD burning.

I am curious what updates will be announced next week, we will see.

14. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

LET HIM ENJOY HIS NEW PURCHASE!

Good god, man... If there is a new PB (which there have been no such rumors), then so be it. He doesn't care, and neither should you. What he does with his money is his responsibility, and he doesn't need someone here telling him what he should've done, or that new products will come out when there isn't any evidence for it!

Now on topic: When I bought my 12" PB, in May 2004, I was freakin ecstatic! I had been admiring macs from inside CompUSA forever, and finally saved up enough cash to get one. I absolutely love this computer. It's the best one that I have ever owned. I think I bought my PB at the right time (it's been 8 months, and my PB is still being sold new in the Apple store), but even if an update would have come out the day after I bought mine, I wouldn't care. THis is all I need. I hope that you enjoy your new PB to the fullest!

Don't pay any attention to the patronizing n00bs.

15. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

Ooh! I brought my PowerBook to school today, and I met like, 3 new Apple fan people. All my teachers thought it was cool, and it turns out that they have nothing against me using it in class to take notes and such. I'll have to see if I can get software versions of my textbooks from my teachers, that would be awesome. The only sad part is that my school has no Wifi network, but that's okay. Thanks for the replies :) :) :)

16. SLCentral macrumors regular

I'm glad hes enjoying his new purchase. Thats not the point. You Mac fanatics that fail to look at logic because, God forbid, IT'S A MAC really is quite incredible. I was just pointing out that its a week from the keynote, and it could have saved him hundreds of dollars.

17. nutmac macrumors 68030

Especially since many are expecting new PowerBooks to cost few hundreds less. Even if new models cost the same, older models always sell for less when new models are announced. Just about anyone posting here should know that new models are due real soon.

Then again, I suppose to some, getting a PowerBook a week or two early is worth spending few hundreds more for it.