Getting a Part-time Job

Discussion in 'Community' started by applekid, Nov 21, 2004.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

I'm looking into getting a part-time job (probably for the weekends and probably for my winter vacation) during the holiday season in order to have a nice allowance.

I'm looking into getting a job in an electronics/computer store. Luckily, the nearest mall is about 5 minutes away and some local shopping centers are about 15 minutes away. And the nearest Apple Store is about 30 minutes away, but I'm not liking what I'm hearing about Apple Stores and how restrictive it is.

The current stores I'm looking at are:
    - CompUSA
    - Apple Store
    - Best Buy
    - Target
    - Electronics Boutique
    - GameStop
    - KB Toys
    - Toys R' Us

I'm in the process of preparing a resume and getting job applications and asking if positions are even available.

What I'd like to hear are people's experiences working for these companies and if there's any sort of age restrictions for getting a job. And if you can, perhaps you wouldn't mind talking about pay ;) Thanks.

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

You'll probably have your best chances with Target. Since you're under 18 I don't think they can keep you working too late into the night about which I've heard some bad stories about people being kept several hours after their shift is supposed to be over. I applied there when a year ago b/c I needed a job but I didn't get hired. All I can say is stay away from working at a unionized grocery store bagging groceries if you don't live in a right to work state. Thats the job that I got and learned to hate it pretty quickly and the pay was terrible. ($4.60/hr net)

3. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

There's other reasons I'm not planning on working at a grocery store. For one thing, I know of a kid that had a swollen wrist after bagging groceries for a couple of days. Not to mention, most of the kids I know that are working at the grocery store are pot heads that I'd like to stay away from.

A hot job here currently is the new local movie theatre. I'm pretty sure they are filled with positions, but what's been attractive are flexible hours, high salaries (I know of some people that have worked a few months and have reached $25/hr.), it's next to the mall, and close to one of the high schools.