Getting a Patent....

Discussion in 'Community' started by frescies, Oct 20, 2003.

1. frescies macrumors regular

Hey everyone!

I must have had about 2 really good ideas for something and thought to myself: "MAN.... that would be cool if it existed... someone should invent that..... No!!! I should invent it!!! .... But I suppose the patent process is impossible.... Probably worth it though............................... "

Eventually I forget about it, and then see it marketed on store shelves 2 years later, and think to myself: "Oh....... I... Shoulda.... I hate myself"

Then again I've seen a fair share of late night commercials for companies that handle "patent negotiations" and "help you sell your invention". But they all sound kinda sketchy.....

I was wondering. Does anyone know the process for getting a patent for something or some resources on the web. The key thing is the ability to DO IT YOURSELF, because that's what I'd like to do.

Thanks a ton!

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I believe the fee for filing a patent is $5,000. I know it's not cheap, i think that's what it is. there are companies that will help you, they cover part of the fee and get partial rights to your patent, or royalties...

pnw

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I actually have been to the USPTO before (a friend of mine worked there). All that info can be found online

www.uspto.gov

as for pricing - $5,000 is a bit much

http://www.uspto.gov/go/fees/fee2003oct01.htm

Basic fee is only $770.00 and there are a bunch of things that can be added on. You might want to start by doing a search on your idea.

The thing with patents is that even if its not a commercial product, doesn't mean that its not got a patent. Some great stuff never makes it or it takes a while to get to market (decades sometimes).

D

4. Steve Kube macrumors newbie

Preparing and filing a patent application is not terribly difficult. Basic fee for a small entitity is $385. You could also file a Provisional Patent Application for under $100.00

The real work comes in trying to license or sell your invention.

For a self help book on the patent process see Patent it Yourself by David Pressman, from Nolo Press. That's pretty much the bible for doing it on your own. Also, use the uspto.gov web site.

You could try to show your ideas to prospective licensees using a non-disclosure agreement, but that can get a bit tricky. Again, see Patent It Yourself for more info.

Good luck.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've no experience in this, but I do know there are patent lawyers who handle these types of things as well. I believe they take u thru the entire process, for a fee. ;)

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

huh, i dunno where i got the $5,000. it's kept me from going after a couple of patents myself... good to know it's really cheaper :)

maybe the 5000 was for a patent lawyer... that sounds a bit better...

pnw

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that sounds more like it...and they're also moving the uspto to a new building (huge, btw) in Alexandria, VA, across town from my house. Its going to create all sorts of traffic hell with the 3000+ employees arriving daily....

D

8. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

They should lower the costs of patents, to let the common man have a chance!

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Bear in mind your patent will only cover the US unless you extend you patent coverage and pay the licence fees for all the other national patent agencies. Otherwise someone in Europe (for example) can copy it and sell it everywhere except the US. This of course pushes the price of patenting up. There are also annual renewal fees which need paying otherwise it will lapse.

It is not cheap. It costs thousands for global (or at least major market) coverage.