Getting a Powerbook to not sleep when the lid is closed

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 7on, Apr 15, 2004.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Is there a way to keep a powerbook from going to sleep when the lid is closed? Not using an external monitor or mouse/keyboard to keep awake mind you. Or is there a way to turn off the powerbook LCD while it's open? Basically I want to watch movies in my larger external monitor but not be distracted by the bright LCD. Sure I can turn down the brightness, but that's a tad "tiresome." Basically I need something like the mute button for the audio but for the display. Any help?

2. primalman macrumors 6502a

See that funny overlapping squares symbol on F7? Hook up you external display, then hitting that button will go between Mirrored, Extended Desktop and Other [I think}. Give it a try. Otherwise, just turn down the brightness to nothing, like 8 clicks rather than one.

3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I find that unplugging a printer or USB mouse with the lid closed (sleeping) wakes my PowerBook from its sleep. They are designed for lid closed operation so I doubt it would harm it. Otherwise, just turn down the monitor brightness all the way.

4. penrodcc macrumors newbie

Sleepless Pbook

Been a while since you started this thread, so you may already have a good solution in place. Take a look at the below software. This is what I used.

http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

hmm, interesting software.