Getting a Powerbook to not sleep when the lid is closed

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 7on, Apr 15, 2004.

1. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Is there a way to keep a powerbook from going to sleep when the lid is closed? Not using an external monitor or mouse/keyboard to keep awake mind you. Or is there a way to turn off the powerbook LCD while it's open? Basically I want to watch movies in my larger external monitor but not be distracted by the bright LCD. Sure I can turn down the brightness, but that's a tad "tiresome." Basically I need something like the mute button for the audio but for the display. Any help?
  2. primalman macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    at the end of the hall
    See that funny overlapping squares symbol on F7? Hook up you external display, then hitting that button will go between Mirrored, Extended Desktop and Other [I think}. Give it a try. Otherwise, just turn down the brightness to nothing, like 8 clicks rather than one.
  3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I find that unplugging a printer or USB mouse with the lid closed (sleeping) wakes my PowerBook from its sleep. They are designed for lid closed operation so I doubt it would harm it. Otherwise, just turn down the monitor brightness all the way.
  4. penrodcc macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2004
    Sleepless Pbook

Been a while since you started this thread, so you may already have a good solution in place. Take a look at the below software. This is what I used.
  5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    hmm, interesting software.