Getting a PowerMac G5 - after they are updated...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wrldwzrd89, Dec 28, 2003.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I plan on getting a PowerMac G5 to replace my PowerBook G4 667. However, I'm trying to figure out which model would best suit my needs. Assuming that little else changes between models with the update (that is, gap in processor MHz/GHz stays the same, every model of G5 gets or none of the models get upgrades like 8x SuperDrives, etc.). I plan on using the machine for game development (which in turn means I'll be running 2D and 3D graphics applications), music (both composition for games and listening), web development, web browsing, and of course visiting and posting on these forums :) Any suggestions as to whether the low-, middle-, or high-end model(s) would be best for me? I can afford to buy the high-end model if that's what suits me best.

<edit> The PowerBook is going to become a hand-me-down to another family member.</edit>

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have to inform you as i have been for years that your not supposed to game on your mac, This isnt allowed in the Mac world, if you want to game you are supposed support Bill Gates and all those Pc's, now where is that copy of Halo?;)

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't care if games are more widely available on PCs

I do not plan to play a whole lot of games on the Mac (besides the ones I develop, of course :)). I am a programmer; therefore XCode will get an awful lot of use.

<edit> Fixed subject line to be more indicative of the message content </edit>

4. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

How about a console? :p

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Since it sounds like you'll be doing 3D rendering, you'll want the top-end dualie, otherwise I would tell you to get something in the middle and invest the extra money in another monitor or something.

6. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I'm in a similar boat. I'm going to update my Dual 1.25 G4 for a G5. I'm actually doing this for better gaming. (Yes. On a Mac.)
    The G4 does great and is superb for everything else I do, but I got hooked on Ghost Recon, and now Rainbow Six, Halo, and soon Splinter Cell too! :) The G4 just can't feed the 9800.
    My dilemma is that I don't wan to lose dual processors, but I want to stay under 2K.
    A dual processor machine would be sweet even if it's the low end. How great would a dual 1.8, or 2.0 be for under 2K when the new models are released!? (weather it's a new model or a discontinued one)
    You'll probably benefit alot from a dual processor machine. Creative apps are usually optimized for duals and soon (most) for G5's too!

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Just wait another week for the annoucements @ MWSF and see if there are processor speed boosts for the G5 PowerMacs or not - there very well might be. In any case though, definitely get a dual processor machine, that goes without saying. Whether it's the 1.8 GHz or the 2.0 GHz, you can't really go wrong, and the 1.8 GHz will perform effectively the same as the DP 2.0 (relatively), so you could go with that model to save a little money - the DP 1.8 is definitely at the best price point right now.

But, if there are updates, then see what they are, and go from there. Who knows, maybe a DP 2.0 will become the low end and then you'd be laughing!!

What are you thinking about as far as a montor goes? Apple LCDs should be updated soon as well, possibly at MWSF as well...

8. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Since you intend this to be your work machine, the decision is actually fairly simple. Just figure out how much time you'll save by buying the faster machine and see if the time saved justifies the extra cost.

E.g. if getting the faster model saves you 30 min a day of Xcoding and rendering, that should be about $20-30 in savings per day (depending on your hourly wage of course). Over a year that's $5000-7500. The added horsepower will save you money in the long run. But if on the other hand, that extra bit of time saved doesn't translate into more income, then it's probably not worth it.

9. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

As far as monitors are concerned...

I actually plan to get an Apple LCD later, after I get the computer working. This of course means I'll need at least one and possibly two adapters: 1 DVI-to-VGA and possibly one VGA-to-OldStyleAppleMonitor (I still have some of those lying around that aren't in use!)

10. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

The DVI to VGA adaptor comes with all powermacs. The VGA to Apple Monitor connector is about $5 on eBay or your local specialized Apple retailer, like Microcenter. www.microcenter.com
    I would try to find one with a cable attachment. Two of those hard clunky adaptors sticking out of your G5 one after the other (about 2.5" in length each) may be a hazard to the video card connector.

11. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks!

Thank you, neonart! I will use this information when I make my purchase.

12. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Changed my mind, got an iMac 17" instead

See this thread.