getting a self-copied audiobook to read as an audiobook on iPod

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Mar 30, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I have a store-bought audiobook that I copied into MP3 format on my computer. is there anything I can do so I can get my iPod (3G) to read it as an audiobook?

2. operastarlet macrumors member

can't you import it into itunes? I don't know if it will support the bookmarking though. maybe if you changed the .mp3 to .m4b?

3. emmawu macrumors 6502

My iPod reads audiobooks all the time. The best thing to do is set up a new playlist and place only your book in correct chapter order in iTunes. Select all and transfer it to your pod. It should copy it perfectly. The new playlist is essential. Be sure to place disk 1, 2, 3 etc. when you make the playlist to insure it copies in order.

Listening to audiobooks on your iPod is great on the beach or for lounging in the back yard. Enjoy.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Separate but related question. If you're just listening to audiobooks on your mac, is there a way to bookmark them?

5. Logik macrumors 6502a

Ok let's explain one more time here.

MP3 does not allow bookmarking features in itunes or on an ipod.

AAC does if you name the extension .m4b (think of b as in Book)

M4B files and AA (audible) files are the only bookmarkable audio formats supported by ipod/itunes.

reimport your audiobook as aac, copy the files from the library folder to your desktop (or a temp folder). rename them all with m4b as the file extension, remove the ones from your itunes library, then reimport the files with the extension change... i hope itunes 5.0 will allow you to import audiobooks better it'll make explaining this easier. personally i just use audible.. cheaper by far and much more convienent.

6. Logik macrumors 6502a

maybe with an applescript, but without.. no.. only ".m4b" and ".aa" files

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, got it. But it turns out, that's what you get when you buy audiobooks from iTMS. So I had this feature all along and didn't realize it.

8. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

am I doing something wrong? I got the files converted to m4b files, but neither iTunes or my iPod is reconizing it as an audiobook, and the bookmarking feature doesnt seem to work. Did I forget to do something?