Getting a state goverment job

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yebot, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Yebot macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    So I decided to sign up for a civil service exam (for Information Technology) in my state; Pennsylvania. There are a lot of state jobs around my area since I live near the capital.

Anyone out there have any experience with these state civil service exams ? My Computer Science classes are at least six years old now. How should I go about brushing up on that fancy 'book learnin' ?
  2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
  3. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    I work in state government here in Michigan (also live near the capitol here :))

Just study your old books, or buy used new ones that are being used and brush up a little.

I don't know how things are in PA, but if you were applying here for IT, as long as you know 'ctrl-alt-delete' and how to remove copious amounts of spyware from users' computers, your in like Flyn. Let's just say the IT guys around here aren't exactly creme of the crop :p

Luckily I do web work, so I get to avoid all the shenanigans lol
  4. Yebot thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    The test covers deployed systems, apps devel, IT, and database management.

I would prefer to do web work too, which I assume would fall under the apps devel portion. Something tells me that a 100-question test that covers such a wide range of topics can't be too difficult.