Getting an eMac, purchasing question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AppleSox, Mar 7, 2004.

1. AppleSox macrumors newbie

Hi all, first time post.

This week I'll be *finally* getting a new computer, a 1GHz eMac with SuperDrive. I'm going to be maxing out the RAM but I'm rather split on the hard drive.

I won't be doing a whole lot of video editing in the near future (possibly a year or two from now) so should I upgrade the HD to something like a Seagate SATA drive or just leave it at the default size (80 gigs) and worry about a different HD later, like an external or something?

Regardless, I *am* looking forward to upgrading from this ol' 7200/75 Power Mac (still going strong, just getting old). :)

-AppleSox

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

If you don't think you'll be using the HD, don't upgrade. I edit lot of video, and my 80 gig Albook is plenty to hold a massive DVD project. If you start editing, and feel the need for more- just pick up a firewire drive to keep backups of your finished projects on.

3. evil macrumors 6502

just a suggestion: dont buy apple ram. its way overpriced
    go to www.crucial.com

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I do not believe the eMac supports SATA drives...FYI...Kingsnapped advice is sound...congrats on your new mac (and I thought my pismo was old...)

5. AppleSox thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be buying in-store (from the most reputable A/V store in Winnipeg) so I'll see if they can throw in RAM other than Apple's. If not, well, I'll bite the bullet. I have really bad luck from opening computers (PC's) and ruining them, which is why I don't fix them. :)

Thanks to all for your advice.

--AppleSox