Getting an ibook, will this do...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Open-Your-Eyes, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Open-Your-Eyes macrumors newbie

My laptop is nearing the three years boundary and i am stepping up to the next level of education. This calls for an upgrade, and i'm going apple.
    All i am really going to be doing is listening to music, writing and storing my photos. I will also be making the odd one or two movies but this will be rare.
    I have decided that the ibook will do for this and I am about to go and buy the 14 inch model. I have read quite a bit with people finding problems with the screen but i'm not bothered with the pixel level too much.
    I am at school and so wont be able to afford an upgraded model at all. I was wondering if i'd be able to survive with 256 ram for a few weeks before i get an order in to crucial which seem to offer much cheaper memory than the chaps down at apple.
    Is this all okay? Will the ibook serve my purposes?

2. iBook macrumors regular

The short answer to your question is: Yes, but....

I'd recommend getting the 12-inch iBook and using the price difference between it and the 14-inch model to max out the hard drive, bump up the ram and add the Airport wireless card. Your call on Bluetooth.

iBooks share the same screen resolution, and I find the display on my 12-inch to be perfect for the applications you describe. Type is clean and easy to read; illumination is bright and even.

The unit is light, records great battery life and handles everything I've thrown its way with ease. I've never questioned my decision to buy the iBook vs. the PowerBook that was very much tempting me at the time.

Happy shopping.

3. budaapple macrumors regular

good choice

The G-4 ibook is a great choice and 256 is enough to run almost anything. But if you plan on doing any manipulation of those photos and better yet a movie you will want to max out the ram to help speed that process up. Good Luck

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

256 will be ok for awhile, but you will want to upgrade in the future. You could always buy a refurb unit, or if you're going to college, use the education discount. You have up to a year to buy AppleCare, which I would suggest doing. Just in case.

5. kidA macrumors regular

256 is fine. but more is always better. i've got 256 and everything runs very smoothly--once it gets going. there are occasional hiccups when opening apps (particularly ms office) but nothing that an addition 256 mb of ram wouldn't solve.

incidentally, i've got a RAM question--i have an 12" ibook G4 1 ghz with 256 mb of ram and am planning on adding more soon. so here's the question--crucial wants to sell me pc2100 ram, but when you go to apple store's memory section, it says to use pc2700. anyone know what i should be buying?

6. Open-Your-Eyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay then

Yeh okay, i'm going ahead with it. I think i will get a 12" and use the price difference to get an airport extreme card. Cheers.

Another thing...

Can you use an aiport express without a base station? Or is aiport express simply an add on? I'm not to clear on this, i feel as though the website try's to sell the product more than they try to explain everything about it...

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Oh. I mis-read your post. Sorry. This can be deleted...

irmongoose

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Airport Express is a Base Station, with some limitations (and one advantage: The ability to connect to your HiFi), but unless you connect to the Net on a modem you should do fine with the APExpress.

There has been at least a couple of threds making this relativly clear... ;)

9. Open-Your-Eyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if i offended anyone, i meant the apple website and not this one