Getting around the Finder Bar?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OldManJimbo, Aug 23, 2005.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

In 10.3.9 - I use two monitors and recently reconfigured my office so the second monitor is positioned ABOVE the PowerBook screen.

Probelm - I can move the mouse cursor up&down from one screen to the other, but I can't move any application screens to the top monitor because they get "stuck" on the Finder Bar at the top of the PowerBook screen.

Is there any way to move the Finder Bar to the side? Or otherwise make it less rigid?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is a bug with Cocoa (iirc, maybe it's Carbon) apps that mean you can't drag them above the Menu bar (not the Finder bar). The way around this is to put the menu bar on the top screen!

3. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

How do I move the Menu Bar (thanks) to the top screen?

Also - I was able to design a work-around. By setting the top screen to a wider resolution than the lower (PowerBook) screen - I can drag the application windows to the side and then up into the top monitor. It makes the stuff on the top screen a it smaller, but that's better than the alternative.

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

All you have to do it in the displays panel click on the menu bar, and drag it to the top display. Easy as that.

::20ROGERSC::

5. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Excellent - thank you for suggesting such a simple solution. I never thought to just "drag" the menu bar.

Simplicity wins again -

6. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Mac in one word!

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Seems a lot of noobs get hung on the issue of the Finder bar on multiple desktops. Wish Apple could make it a little more apparent that you could set which is the main desktop. I discovered it by accident.

My avatar is a little scary. Should I change it?

8. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

It does say at the top of the displays preferences to drag the menu bar to move it.

And what has your 'tar got to do with this anyway!