Getting back into the MAC world

Discussion in 'Community' started by performancedfw, Nov 30, 2004.

1. performancedfw macrumors newbie

performancedfw

Am getting a G4 DP 450 and am wondering how the whole ipod thing works with the MAC? I know I am going to have to upgrade the OS to OSX to use the pod but am curious as to if there will be any problems transfering all my MP3's from PC to MAC. Also is there any restrictions with the ipod material transfers as far as copyright stuff. I am currently using the Creative Jukebox system with a 20 gig unit and a MuVo TXFM 512. Have never used the ipod system!

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Waits for someone to comment on the capitalization of 'Mac'.

You shouldn't have any trouble transferring your songs to your mac.

I recommend putting all your songs in one directory, zipping that directory, and then transferring the zip file to the mac, and then unzipping it there.

Best of luck,

scem0

3. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Present.

This is Mac World 101:

MAC is not an acronym like PC. PC stands for personal computer. MAC is actually Mac. This is not to be mean, but people will give you plenty of flack if you don't get it right, so I'm trying to help.

Welcome back to Mac. Hey, that rhymes. :)

4. performancedfw thread starter macrumors newbie

performancedfw

Thanks guys!

Looking forward to all the new things I've heard about in the new OS for my Mac

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

As for copyright stuff.

Songs bought from the iTMS (iTunes Music Store) have some DRM limitations. I forgot what exactly what they are.

But you can transfer your current songs as many times as you want. Songs imported via iTunes have to DRM, too.

scem0

6. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Downloads from ITMS now encourage users to back up their music. I do that by burning audio CDs from protected Mac tracks. Those CDs are like any others - they can be played, imported (in whatever format tickles you at the time) or left as backups.

7. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I back up my Protected AAC files to CD as well, however, I do leeve them in the AAC format if its only for back up reasons. This does two things, it allows more songs to be copied to the CD, and it keeps the original "quality" of the file. By converting it from format to format you may lose some of the sound quality and I don't want to lose any bit of the 128 bit files apple uses. I personally use 192bit AAC for my personal collection.