Getting bent over a barrel by Apple Reseller in AZ

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by D0ct0rteeth, Jan 17, 2007.

1. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I really don't expect any success or help by posting here, but maybe you guys will find this entertaining.

First for a little background, on August 10th of 2006 I purchased a Laptop from MacMedia (Apple reseller in Phoenix, AZ ). The computer was a demo model previously owned by the store manager and it was my third major purchase from the store. For several years I have purchased merchandise from them and have paid for service from this location and their Scottsdale store as well.

There are problems with any company, just a part of doing business - but I never had any reason to believe that it would actually become unresolvable and reach an impasse as it has. Anyway when I purchased the laptop I clearly asked as I was purchasing the computer if the 1 year warranty be effective from today or would I only have a few month left on my warranty? They enthusiastically confirmed that the warranty would be valid for 1 year, and they have a form to file this information with Apple corporate to change the date of purchase.

From mere hours after the purchase I had problems with the computer and its instability and constant problems with Kernal Panics, I worked around them as best I could until on December 20th when I diagnosed the problem myself, performed all the initial prep work and returned the computer and asked for it to be repaired. The hard drive and DVD drive of the computer were mechanically defective, the tech agreed and the parts needed to be replaced. This repair would obviously take a few hours - and there were other customers ahead of me and with the holiday season it was not unreasonable to expect the repair to take a week or so.

On Saturday Dec 23rd I called to check the status and see if thy needed any assistance from me, and they said that they hadn't even looked at it and would call me when it was ready. I said I would appreciate a call on Wed the 27th either way.

On Thursday the 28th I had not heard anything and I called to check in. They said that they needed to order parts from apple and it would be a few days - and they aren't sure that the computer would be covered by the warranty. Apple products carry a 1 year warranty, and I purchased the product from THIS EXACT COMPANY only 3 months prior. I explained that to them, and they said - "Oh, yeah. Then don't worry about it."

On Friday the 29th, I received a call from them and they said that they had tried to order the parts from apple - but that since the product was used by them as a demo model and the manufacturing data was over 1 year old - Apple actually says that the parts/repair isn't covered by the warranty. I explained that this just isn't acceptable, and calmly I asked how they would feel if they we're me. Obviously we discussed this when I purchased the computer, and there was a miscommunication in their store. I asked them to pull up the information in their customer database and get aggressive on this for me, The computer was dropped off over a week ago and nothing has happened at all - I expected that this would be resolved by now. They said it would be taken care of.

On Tuesday the 2nd, I called and checked to see if they were able to order the parts, I brought the associate on the other end of the phone up to speed and he was completely unaware of anything that was going on. At this point I was getting irritated and I mentioned that I would bring in Photocopies of all my paperwork in. Receipts and everything. That night I brought everything in and spoke to an employee named Dan. I again - explained the entire process to him and he assured me that everything would be taken care of. I asked to be called once they got the ball rolling so I could know when to expect the computer back. If for some reason, I just needed to buy Applecare at tis point I would - I just needed the laptop repaired.

On Wednesday the 3rd, I called, again and had to walk the associate thru the entire history of my situation. He mentioned that he would look into it and call me back. He did in fact call back and he mentioned that they needed the box that my computer was packaged in. Apparently they needed the UPC code to order the parts. My receipt isn't enough, The fact that I have been their customer isn't enough. They need the box. At this point I am entirely frustrated and I just needed to get thru this process and I told them that I would bring it by that night after work - but I felt this was absurd and I was tired of their stalling and lack of professionalism.

That night I stopped by the store, rexplained everything. Resolved the UPC/box issue, and I pleaded that they please fix the computer. Please call me tomorrow and let me know when the parts are ordered and when to expect to pick up the computer.

At 5pm on Thursday the 4th, I called and asked for a status update. They basically said they had no idea who I was or what was going on and they would have to call me tomorrow.

At 5pm on Friday the 5th. I called again and had to walk the associate thru the entire history of my situation. He mentioned that he would look into it and call me back. He did not.

At 11:30 am on Monday the 8th I called and asked for an update. They said that they didn't know. I sat on hold, and after about 10-15mins I asked to just be called back before 4pm or I would contact the local news stations and the BBB. He basically told me, "oh well - sucks to be you." and nothing has been done since then.

Honestly, I am understanding that sometimes mistakes happen, but I have asked time and time again very politely for them to call me back, and they don't do that, They have no follow thru, Days and Days pass without anything being done. Problems and communication issues in their company become my responsibility to resolve, and when I go in person to resolve issues I am confidently told that everything has been resolved - and then I am told by another employee that he has no idea who I am and he has no idea where my computer is.

I bought this computer, well within its one year warranty period. I depend on this computer to produce income for my business and my family, and I have been repeatedly proactive and generous in my communication and accommodation for their apathy and incompetence.

Any ethical company would just repair this laptop and either take the loss, Its unreasonable that I have all thge documenttation and my laptop has been ignored for the last month at the apple reseller where i bought it.

Anyone have any ideas? Ive called both apple and the reseller repeatedly and nothing. Ive updated my Date of Purchase quite a while ago http://www.apple.com/support/service/help/warrantycheck/dateofpurchase.html. I'm literally being ignored, and nobody gives a ****.

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Why are you still talking to their "associates"? You should be talking to their managers, if they aren't helpful, talk to their managers and so on.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

It it was possible, I would be going to another Apple store. The people at the one you put the notebook in with sound like they want to get computers out the door, but they don't care if they come back.

I work in an independent Apple centre, and when a computer/iPod comes in, we try to get the item out the door as soon as we can in the best condition we can.

I'm really sorry to hear about your story. All I can say is that not all of them are like that :eek:

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I know you said you aren't expecting help, but I thuoght I would try to do so anyway (this is why I get in trouble at home)

I don't know how bing MacMedia is, but if it is comparable to the Apple Resellers here in the DC area, I'm imagining that they aren't very big. Like heehee asked, why hasn't this been escalated (by you or the associates) to a senior level person. Also, is it possible to get in touch with the owner of the company? They are probably going to be a bit more invested in customer relations (they probably built the company) than your usual HS student/dropout.

Have you contacted a local station yet? Another option may be to contact an attorney (preferably an attorney friend that sees this as open and shut and will take it cheap or free). You may even want to consider talking to:

Louis Georges (CEO)
    Mike Elser (President)
    Brian Geroges (Secretary)
    Steve Cerri (Director)

Brian is also their statutory agent, recieving mail at their Scottsdale location. Their buisiness phone number is 480-964-6352 (again, the Scottsdale location).

I would post what appears to be their publicly available home addresses (well, the address listed on their corporate filing with AZ), but I don't want to risk irking Q or arn.

Good luck.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you're still within the 1 year warranty period, you should be talking directly to Applecare to get this computer fixed.

6. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

I know where you're coming from. Had a similar issue myself with a pc laptop for my company. Basically, you have to be the "ass" customer to get something resolved. Myself, I'm a pretty laid back kind of guy, and don't like it when people get pissed over stupid stuff, but this is your business, and a breadwinning device used to take care of your family. Do what you have to, demand a manager or speak to corporate. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to turn into a pain in the backside before they want to do something to get rid of you.

7. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Apple actually told me that the repair cannot be done because theoretically the computer is out of warranty. According to their records the computer was purchased in Nov 2005. (Obviosly with my receipt and everything it is actually August 2006)

I have spoken to the Manager/Owner, but he basically tells me that he can't do the repair until Apple's computer system change the D.O.P. and Apple says that the D.O.P. is Nov 2005 and they refuse to change it. Apple and the store both are telling me that the computer is out of warranty and "tough luck"

I can get it repaired anywhere I want, I dont have to deal with this store - but I have to pay the full repair bill no matter what.

I have to pay for the service myself, and Apple/Store refuse to step up.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you have it in writing that the store said the machine would be under warranty I'd add small claims court to the list of people to call. Did you buy the machine w/a credit card? If so you should have buyer protection from that.

You could also post the contact for the store and invite any MR users to call in and complain on your behalf. :D

Lethal

9. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

No, All I have is the invoice... and I am a no-debt/cash only snob so I unfortunately don't have that avenue.

However, I did just have a 30-40min phonecall with one of the people "nbs2" posted earlier and they are actually going to step up and do the repair no-charge. It took a month of nagging, but I think I am back in the clear. Should have the laptop back on Monday or so..

Thx everyone for letting me vent.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Not to count the chickens before they hatch, but I'm glad it looks likes things will finally work out in the end.

Lethal

11. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

When I bought my Powerbook Apple had a strange date of purchase on their system, but they changed it happily when I sent them a fax of my receipt. Did they give you any reason why they wouldn't?

12. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Nice to hear it is nearly resolved !
    Reading storeis like this definitely influences my buying decisions, and I hope the reseller resolves this to your satisfaction.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Glad things worked out for you. Just because I'm curious, who was it that you ended up speaking with? Looking at their filing history, it seems like they are just a small group of guys who are trying to find their way and got burned by some idiot employees that are more concerned with discounts on products than providing good service.

Just a thought - you may want to consider (for situations like this) remainings a no debt snob and just use a CC for major purchases and just pay that off out of your checking account every time you use it. You can probably work a moderate limit - around $1-3k and just keep it in a drawer except when you are buying something big. I know you would give up the beauty of cash for some things, but the protection would be a nice trade-off.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Was this the MacMedia in Scottsdale? I don't have any good experiences from the Glendale one either. The people working don't know anything, they just sit there listening to music on their computers. Not helpful at all. The managment is helpful at the Glendale location at least, they just hire idiots.

I'll be avoiding the Scottsdale one as well if I'm ever in the area.

15. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wow, interesting story. I had considered taking my mom's iBook in there to get the inverter cable replaced. I wonder if I should rethink that plan...

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

FWIW, I had a similar situation with my Power Mac G5. It was a BTO (extra RAM) that the original customer decided they didn't want. I bought it because they offered me a discount on it, and I thought the extra RAM would be nice anyway. Got it home, called Apple about getting iLife for it through the up-to-date program, and they told me that the 90 days of phone support was up. Seems it had been registered as being sold when it was ordered by the store since it was a BTO and had been sitting in the store for about 6 months.

Anyway, I faxed the receipt to Apple and had the purchase date changed and the warranty "reset" within a day of my purchase. So Apple can and does change the purchase date in situations like yours. I didn't even have to deal with the store where I bought it, all Apple wanted was a proof of purchase from me. I wonder why you can't do the same?

(BTW, Apple also sent me a boxed copy of iLife '05 completely free of charge, they didn't even charge the normal $20 "shipping" fee. This is one of two experiences I've had with Apple support and both of them were 100% positive.)

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Very true. Seems like this problem is being handled very improperly.

jon