getting better quality out of idvd

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by plunar, Aug 23, 2006.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

yeah, i know it's not professional grade software, but the compression effects are very noticeable, especially compared to the dv file. even the text in some of the menus appear pixelated . anyway to crank up a notch?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

DVD, as a format, is horribly compressed especially compared to DV. If you already have iDVD set for "best quality" then that's as good as it's gonna get.

Lethal

3. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

There is a setting under preferences that will allow you to choose higher quality encoding. By default, it is NOT set to higher quality; check this box and you'll notice a difference. My iDVD projects do not have any noticeable pixellation on the menus. The only compression artifact I get is if there is a fast-moving scene. However, on the latest iDVD (I use an earlier version) with the default settings you can get alot of moire and motion artifact.

Hope this helps.

Dave

4. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

5. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

i just ran on the tv and it looks a lot better. guess the computer screen just makes things a bit to clear...

6. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I was wondering if you were viewing it on a computer.

For some reason (which I would love to have explained) I don't understand why DVDs do not look all that great on computers.

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

It's because most TVs display video differently to computer monitors. iDVD uses a process called de-interlacing to get the video to display properly on the Mac. However, iDVD isn't very good at de-interlacing (have a look at Dscaler on the PC for how it should be done), so video can often look worse on a Mac than they do on a TV.

8. lostless macrumors 6502

Idvd does not deinterlace, If it did, the video would end up choppy on tv. Video is 30 interlaced frams per second, meaning 2 fields/frames per frame. so video is 60 fps stuffed into 30 frames. reasons it looks worse on a computer is
    1. computer has to deinterlace the video, which does not give the exact effect as a tv (non HD).
    2. computer monitors are high res and will show off any defect in a video very easily, including compression artifacts. TVs do their own blurring, ect which hides compression a tad.
    3. Some dvd decoders are better than others, apples dvd player is on the low end. VLC has a much better decoder, and using it makes dvds looks alot better, than apples dvd player, but its interface isnt user friendly.
    Hope that all makes sence. I find Idvds encoder isnt bad at all. pro dvds look like they have no compression is because they can pay for a scene by scene compression rate and manually adjust the bit rate to whatever scene they want. Good luck

9. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Without wishing to sound like an idiot, you aren't of course referring to Full Screen play on DVD Player, are you? At Normal Size my DVDs seem to play back at pretty good quality on my iMac screen.

10. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

An NTSC TV displays around 640x480 pixels in the 4:3 format. Your computer may be displaying 1024x768, 1440x900, or higher. When viewed at native size the window would be tiny, BUT the quality would look great. One pixel in your video is drawn with ONE pixel of your display. When you scale the 640x480 video up to the display's resolution the computer has to expand the pixels, so what was a 1:1 ratio at native size becomes 1:10 or more, depending on the native resolution of your display. Basically, one pixel of your video is drawn using 10 pixels of your display... giving you pixilation and icky video.
    Okay looking image becomes awful when blown up:
    [​IMG]

As for interlaced vs. progressive, I always shoot in 30p. When the edit is done I export as a deinterlaced h.264 file which, in my opinion, looks better than a DV/DVCPRO NTSC .mov file.
    ewww, interlaced fields:
    [​IMG]

When played on your computer the quality is nice, you don't get the banding/striping that you get with interlaced video, and when you drop to DVD it interlaces anyway. Have you cake and eat it too.

11. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

All i know is my wife's sex and the city dvd looks great, both on my 12" g4 and the tv, and my idvd looks like crap on the mac and great on tv. it even drops frames on the mac during MENU TRANSISTIONS!

i'm trying to tell myself this is all due to the deinterlaced video issue (or lack thereof it).

If i got a copy of Apple DVD Studio to encode my idvd, would this be fixed?

12. mkaake macrumors 65816

That's an expensive fix to have it look good while sititng directly in front of a computer, when it looks perfectly fine on the intended medium as is...

In any event, just sit back when you watch it on your mac, and it'll look just fine...

13. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Commercial DVD's are given a lot of time (human time and server farm CPU cycles) to make, whereas iDVD does it in a few hours. Sure, DVD studio pro could compress it a little better, but none of that matters if your source video is low resolution.
    What kind of camera did you shoot on?
    How did you export the final edit?