getting car CD player to recognize CD ripped from music purchased at iTunes Music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ajlcharlotte, Mar 26, 2005.

1. ajlcharlotte macrumors newbie

Ripping CDs with music purchased from iTunes Music Store. Can not get it to play on 6 cassette CD player in car but the single in dash CD player recognizes it and plays without a problem.

Also how do I get CD player in car to recognize song and album title ? Some purchased CDs are recognized and others are not.

2. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

im kinda confused as to what you are asking... could you be more elaborate about the first part?

i'll give it a go on the second part... I assume you are talking about normal CD's (not mp3 CD's), the only way to get it to show album/artist/track is if you burn it as a CD-TEXT. I dont know of a way to do it in iTunes...

3. ajlcharlotte thread starter macrumors newbie

Clarification on first part of question:
    purchase music from iTunes music store
    burn this on to a CD
    take the CD and try to play it in my car
    the CD is recognized by the in dash (single CD) player but not by the 6 CD cassette player in the glove compartment (ie the cassette player won't play the CD)

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Under iTunes preferences -> burning, have you set Disk Format to Audio CD?

And some Car stereos doesn't like 80 min CDs, stick to max 74 and you should be safe...

5. ajlcharlotte thread starter macrumors newbie

format is set to Audio CD
    length of recording does not seem to affect this as many CDs are under 74 minutes and still are not recognized by the 6 CD cassette player (but are by the in dash CD player)

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I didn't mean the length of the recording, but the capacity of the CD-Rs. If you can play them in some CD players but not others then the problem might be that the other(s) don't recognize home burned CDs at all... have you tried with Audio CDs burned using e.g. Toast on your own Mac or from another system all together...?

7. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

it could just be a CD player problem... not all CD players can read burned CD's...

8. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

The laser reflection contrast needs to be great enough, and this varies.

Two things:

* Try burning slower, even at 1X. The tracks will be etched more, and perhaps this will help

* Try a different brand of CD Media. Those white "Memorex Music CD-R" have worked nicely for me when I have a CD player that won't read other CD brands.

Yes it costs more, but I've never had this brand fade out on me or corrode after 5 years-- I have tons of no-name store brand CD-Rs that have corroded or faded to uselessness, so there really is a difference. If you don't believe me you can google for a us gov't effort to standardize measurements of optical media life expectancy.

9. ajlcharlotte thread starter macrumors newbie

Further clarification of problem with recognition:

all CDs were burned using same technique (Audio CD) from music purchased at iTunes Music. I have used CD-R that are printable and have Epson Stylus Photo R800 that allows me to print directly on to CD. Typically have taken the CD cover art from each and printed directly on to CD. I have used 2 brands of CD-R (Memorex Printable CD-R 52X 700MB 80 min and store brand Comp-USA Printable CD-R 52X 700MB 80 min). All CDs have worked in the in dash CD player but only certain CDs are recognized by 6 CD changer in glove compartment (Alpine ?) in a Mercedes 500 CLK.

All of the Comp-USA CDs work fine,regardless of cover art, in 6 CD changer but only certain Memorex CDs are recognized here. Could the color of the printed cover art on the CD be playing a role with recognition ? Those Memorex CD printed covers that have darker colors with less contrast eg blue/black are not recognized whereas Memorex CD covers that are lighter in color are.