Getting different languages in different apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LittleJoe, Jun 9, 2006.

1. LittleJoe macrumors regular

Hello... recent switcher here with notebook in sig.

Im getting different languages in different apps. Specifically Im getting non-english menus in Finder, iMovie HD and Safari... otherwise everything else is in English. I made sure the system preferences have English as #1. Im not sure why only those apps are not using English.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's unusual.

I'd suggest logging out and log in again. It's the final item in the Apple menu, if you can't tell.

If that doesn't work, switch the language, log out, log in and switch the language back to English, log out, log in.

3. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

Thats a no go :(

I even tried tossing in the install disc and doing the OS X install "Upgrade" (watched it reinstall all the language packs) and still the same thing...

Sooooo Im guessing Im going to have to do more than an upgrade install?

4. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

oy... now ichat is back to normal... but other things are still bonkers... like i can switch it in preferences so that i only have the english languages on my list... but somehow im still getting some wierd language for things like Finder... yet the apple menu is in english??

[​IMG]

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Swedish or Norwegian, maybe. :)

I hate to suggest this but there might be a problem with the permissions. It doesn't happen much any more but you might try repairing permissions in Disk Utility. It's in /Applications/Utilities. Click on the drive after starting the application and then, click on the Repair Permissions button.

6. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

nada :(

Ive read about archive and install. Is that any different from when I ran the OS X install as "upgrade"?

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

The language in the screenshot is Danish.

Have you tried to make a new user account and see if that one has problems, too?

Upgrade doesn't change your preferences, I think, so it's not so strange that it didn't work.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try removing/renaming/deleting the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist file and immediately restart (or log out and back in). Then do your changes in System Preferences -> International, and do another restart (log out and back in) to see if it "sticks"...

9. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

Didnt work. Finder just ended up being shown in the next language after all the english ones again... which was some asain language this time.

Why is English the only thing fudged up??? ahhh! :(

10. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

Gave it a go but it didnt work.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's a sign that you should learn a new language. Japanese is probably the one, but Danish is an interesting language, too.

I'm really surprised that it's being so stubborn about it. If you can wait until Wednesday, perhaps 10.4.7 will be out by then and the update will coincidentally correct the problem.

If not, I'd say a re-install is the only other step.

You don't have an customisations/hacks installed, do you?

12. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

haha... well its nice to hear .7 wil be out soon.

but on another note... someone on macfixit suggested I run Preferential Treatment... The User Preferences came up clean... but the system Preferences came up with these errors... all related to permissions:

system preference report
    Sunday, June 11, 2006 10:14:22 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corrupt Preference File:
    /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/ContactsNodeConfig.plist

Problem(s):
    You do not have permission to read this file, it is owned by root. Try authenticating with your administrator password (click the “lock” button).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corrupt Preference File:
    /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/ContactsNodeConfigBackup.plist

Problem(s):
    You do not have permission to read this file, it is owned by root. Try authenticating with your administrator password (click the “lock” button).

Corrupt Preference File:
    /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/DirectoryService.plist

Problem(s):

Corrupt Preference File:
    /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/DSLDAPv3PlugInConfig.plist

Problem(s):

Corrupt Preference File:
    /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/SearchNodeConfig.plist

Problem(s):

Corrupt Preference File:
    /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/SearchNodeConfigBackup.plist

Problem(s):

13. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

I opened up the permissions on those files, and tried fiddling with moving them to the desktop and logging in and out and all that jazz and nothing seems to help, although they no longer come up in the scan by Preferential Treatment.

14. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

15. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Sorry if this seems unnecessary, but no where in your posts do you specify exactly which languages you have chosen in International in System Prefs. What's on the top of your list, and which language is chosen in "Order for sorted lists"?

Picture 1.png

16. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

From first post:

English is first, then British English, Canadian English, Australian English, then after that... Dansk... and the order for sorted is in English / Standard. Its basically skipping all of the English languages. I can change the settings to any other language and it works fine. It just wont work for any of the English languages.

17. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Try creating a new USER ID and then set another language, such as Japanese or Chinese, to see if it works.

If so, then create another USER ID and set the language to English and see if it works.

If both of these are true, based on what others have suggested that did not work for you, I think it may be time to do a clean install of the system.

19. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

yup thats what im thinking... cause as stated before ive tried that and it hasnt worked... oh well :(

20. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Why do you have all those languages enabled? I only have the ones there that I use actively. It seems you have them all checked off in the list that pops down when you click on "Edit list". I know you reinstalled and saw all the language packs be installed, but as far as I can tell, they only show up when you check them off via "Edit list".

I can't imagine whether or not that would make a difference, and maybe you've done it on purpose now specifically to try to figure out what's wrong. I just mention it because it seems unnecessary, unless you're going to be using them all.

I would try unchecking all except English, to see if that helped.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Actually, most of them are there by default.

I was thinking that he should remove the Australian, British, and Canadian English from the list and log out/log in to see if that doesn't make things work.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why don't you just use Mono-lingual to remove the other languages? It cannot display them if they don't exist.

23. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

I ran monolingual and that is what started all of this mess. Monolingual isnt tweaked for intel macs yet. Ive readof other mactel users who used monolingual and are now in the same mess.

24. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

already tried that... English being the only one on the list... and it STILL goes to another language.

Attached Files:

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Thanks for mentioning that at the start.

It sounds as though you need to re-install to get the languages back in sync and wait for whatever tool to be working on Intel machines until you try it again.