Getting first Macbook Pro/Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PatrickW98, May 6, 2012.

  1. macrumors 6502

    PatrickW98

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    Location:
    Subrubs of Chicago, IL
    #1
    This summer I am planning to get my first Macbook Pro/Air. But I heard a new Macbook Pro/Air is coming out this July. Should I still buy the Macbook Pro/Air or wait for the Macbook Pro/Air?
     
  2. macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    If you don't need a new computer now you can always wait. Not really sure what you want us to tell you. Since you're asking, the odds are that a new model will make zero noticeable difference to you.
     
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

    PatrickW98

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    Location:
    Subrubs of Chicago, IL
    #3
    I need a new computer. I have a HP Pavilion mx703. [​IMG]

    I am asking -- Should I get the current Macbook Pro/Air or should I wait for the next one coming this summer?
     
  4. macrumors 65816

    Dweez

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Location:
    Down by the river
    #4
    Do whatever will make you smile. If you want/need it now, make the purchase. If you don't and want to see what the next release(s) will be, wait.

    :)
     
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

    PatrickW98

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    Location:
    Subrubs of Chicago, IL
    #5
    Will it be worth waiting?
     
  6. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2012
    Location:
    Kansas
    #6
    It's like the old saying If you keep waiting around for the latest technology you are going to be waiting forever.
     
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502

    PatrickW98

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    Location:
    Subrubs of Chicago, IL
    #7
    So it is not worth it?
     
  8. Bobby.e, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012

    macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2012
    Location:
    Kansas
    #8
    I I just bought an Air. I have absolutely no regrets.
     
  9. macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #9
    The new models will, in the end, be good about a year longer than the current ones in terms of handling future innovations in software.

    They'll likely be lighter or have longer battery life or both. They may have higher screen resolution, better graphics and USB 3.0

    And when they come out, the current models will drop in price at the Apple refurb store.

    If you buy now, you'll be happy now. If you wait, you'll likely be happier, but you'll have missed out on a few months of happiness.

    Only you can decide what's more important to you. But you mention you're not buying until the summer anyway, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
     
  10. jnc
    macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #10
    That can only be answered in hindsight, dude
     
  11. macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #11
    If you need a machine now the current gen machines are fantastic I have 3 of them. The performance gain from ivy bridge is reported to be quite marginal 5-10% depending what you read. When the refresh is released the current machines will not instantly become obsolete and they will continue to meet your needs for quite some time. You'll be very happy with a current machine and it will be leaps and bounds better than your old school HP pavilion. I say if you want or need it now then buy it you won't be disappointed you can play the waiting game forever!
     
  12. thread starter macrumors 6502

    PatrickW98

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2012
    Location:
    Subrubs of Chicago, IL
    #12
    I am buying in early June and the new Macs are suppose to come in July. :I
     
  13. macrumors 65816

    Dweez

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Location:
    Down by the river
    #13
    That is the $64,000 question. No one really knows (well, besides Apple) what's coming.
     
  14. macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #14
    Well there's no fixed date for when they're coming - or indeed, no proof they're coming at all. We might know better in early June, but if you have to make the purchase then, there isn't much you can do about it.
     
  15. macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #15
    Said who?
     
  16. macrumors 6502

    PeckhamBog

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #16
    You don't need to wait, the current generation will serve you just fine.

    The next generation will be better but you are unlikely to notice the difference in use.

    The only possible reason for waiting is the refresh is likely to be less than three months from here, which will race by.
     
  17. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 14, 2011
    #17
    If you don't need it now just wait. If you feel the previous model suits your needs better, you can always get the previous model for a lot cheaper than what the new model will cost.
     

Share This Page