Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tekcon76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
So I got a new SATA 1tb 7200 and decided to use it in my G5 (powerPC dual2.0ghz 3.25G Ram). So I installed the drive in bay A and booted to the leopard disk. I was able to partition the dive and installed OSX. Once the computer rebooted after the install I get a flashing ?. I'm beginning to wonder about a bios or something that needs to be told the new drive is the bootable drive. I pulled the old drive out. FYI if I put the old drive back in, it works fine. I put the new drive in I get the flashing question mark. Any ideas?
Thanks

Tekcon76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
How did you partition the drive? Is it an APM? GUID or MBR?

If on a PPC partition should be APM for it to be bootable.

Not sure what the acronyms mean but in the utility it only gave me extended Mac partition journaled and non journaled as the options. Do I need to go somewhere else to make it APM?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Not sure what the acronyms mean but in the utility it only gave me extended Mac partition journaled and non journaled as the options. Do I need to go somewhere else to make it APM?
Should be a button called 'Options' near the bottom of the Disk Utility 'Partition' page.

Tekcon76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Ya I chose it and still getting flashing question mark... Any other ideas?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
hold option while you boot and see if the HDD is there..if not move it to the lower drive bay..try rebooting and see if it sees it in that bay..

Being this it a minimum of a 7yo computer make sure all you SATA cables are connected, and i don't mean just look actually push them back on the port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.