Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I own a Powermac G4. I know how to change the boot up OS from jaguar to OS 9. But, how do change back to jaguar. It has been awhile since I had done this and I forgot how. A person told me hold tab. It didn't work(on jaguar is it different once you go to OS9?). Thanks in advance.

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
in OS 9: Apple Menu -> Control Panels -> Startup Disk -> pick the one that says 10.2 and click the restart button. This will set it to load jaguar unless you change it back.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I restarted the Powermac G4. It did work but, OS 9 didn't show up. When my brother installed Jaguar on this old thing he must of wiped OS 9. But, then why would it still be under start up disk?

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...the <option> key at boot will bring up a screen showing all your bootable volumes - it will not show both X and ( if they are on the same volume/partition. Holding the X key at boot will make the it boot into OS X...oh yeah!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...the <option> key at boot will bring up a screen showing all your bootable volumes - it will not show both X and ( if they are on the same volume/partition. Holding the X key at boot will make the it boot into OS X...oh yeah!

Then how would I get into OS 9 then?

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
quagmire said:
Then how would I get into OS 9 then?

Just choose it in System Preferences -> Startup Disk. It usually takes a moment to find all of the available Systems.

In OS 9, you should be able to find your OS X System under Control Panels -> Startup Disk. If you don't see OS X as an option you need to update your OS 9 installation or get the new Startup Disk Control Panel. I remember there was a specific update so that it could see OS X installations back in 2001 or so.

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
osprey76 said:
Just choose it in System Preferences -> Startup Disk. It usually takes a moment to find all of the available Systems.

In OS 9, you should be able to find your OS X System under Control Panels -> Startup Disk. If you don't see OS X as an option you need to update your OS 9 installation or get the new Startup Disk Control Panel. I remember there was a specific update so that it could see OS X installations back in 2001 or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.