getting garage band from friends computer...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by krossfyter, Dec 12, 2004.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

my friend just got a new mac desktop and obviously it comes with ilife thus it has garage band. i want to see if this product works on my powerbook which is the 667 one with 512 ram and i just added a 7200 rpm harddrive.

i want to know if i can somehow transfer copy that app on his computer and get it to mine to try and see if it works okay before i buy. i dont want to buy it and it not work on my puter. so is there a way i can transfer this app over? i have an ipod... would the firewire option ot work?

im not sure if this is an okay topic for this board since it boarders on i believe illegal activities but im not sure.

my apologies if it is. i will buy the thing if it works.

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

A better question might to ask owners of 667 MHz / 512 MB RAM Powerbooks whether Garageband works well on such computers. :cool:

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....yes, despite the fact that motive may well be benign, it is still piracy. Have you checked Apple's website for the specs required to run Garageband - I belive your computer will be okay but you'd probably want to upm the ram a bit more....oh yeah!

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It would be kinda wimpy. My 800Mhz iMac with 768MB of RAM has some issues... but I guess you could do it.

5. cfd macrumors member

GB

I would advise against purchasing GB for your machine. Yes it will work, but after you have 5 or 6 tracks loaded, the unit will painfully slow down.

6. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay guys thanks a lot for your help. perhaps i can purchase an external harddrive a do it on there. would this be good?

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

One option, and I don't think that this would even classify as piracy. Startup your friends computer in target disk mode (Hold down the 'T' key on startup). Plug FW to FW and start up your computer from his HD. Then you'll be running GB off of your processor and the FW connection shouldn't slow you down.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Megahertz, RAM, Gigahertz, Bus speed, hard drive size and RPMs...

Dude, your computer is old! :eek:

All those things that I listed are things you lack in your computer... sorry to say it...

9. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah i know that (tis the nature of technology) im just wondering if i can still work the program on my puter without major issues.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It will run; it just won't run well. A separate hard drive for saving your music files will definitely help: that will allow the main HD to be used for system/garageband and the external for the music. I run GB on a 450 Mhz cube this way. However, it chokes with more than 4 or 5 tracks.

11. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

cool thanks man. for now i just need it to make a song or an audio beat rythm that will match some visuals i have in mind for a performance art piece i have to create.

12. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

would it work on a 1.42 GHz Mac mini w/ 512 MB RAM?

They use that at the apple store BUT the sound doesnt work there/is turned off and users cant put it back on

13. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, it should run just fine. The processor should help out quite a bit, but you might want to upgrade the RAM a bit if you're planning on adding more than 5-6 tracks. Other than that, you should be just fine. I'm running it on my iBook G4 (sig) and it actually runs pretty well, as long as you take it easy on the track complexity and make sure the processor's running at its highest.

14. kanker macrumors 6502

The big problem with regards to getting a high track count in GB is that most of the instruments have a few effects on them by default. Turn some of the effects off, use them judiciously, and you can get much higher track counts out of GB.