getting ibook today.. can i use it while charging the first time?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fruxo, Aug 7, 2005.

1. fruxo macrumors newbie

this may be a stupid question, but being a first time mac user + a first time laptop user, i have to ask.
    im expecting my ibook to arrive today, and ive got some uni things to do, so i would like to start using it right away.
    the problem would be that, as you know, it is highly recommended to fully charge the battery the first time you use it (takes up to 3 hours?).
    but if i have it plugged in, i should be able to use it at the same time, without affecting the battery, right?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It should come with instructions as to how to treat your battery. You can use it as it charges up but you must (once it is charge) let it completely discharge before plugging it in again (it'll fall asleep on you). During this time, you can use it. :)

3. rccola70 macrumors regular

The answer to your question: yes.

When I bought the iBook, I opened it in the car on the way home and it had like 20% battery..so the battery does come with SOME power..

4. fruxo thread starter macrumors newbie

well, that is not what i meant.

as to get the most out of the batteries, one should fully recharge them before using them for the first time (according to apples battery guide).

the question is: will it affect the batteries in some way if i use the computer while charging it?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nope. It may just take a little longer to charge. But no problems. :)

6. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Nope!

And it would be criminal for Apple to taunt you with such a beautiful computer being off-limits while charging. No need to worry.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Fruxo, thanks for posting this question... I bought a new PowerBook this weekend and totally forgot that its battery needed to be calibrated. As I type this, I'm running on batteries with about 15 minutes remaining before I get to plug the thing back in.

8. fruxo thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i just meant for the first recharge, other times i know its no problem using it while charging :)

but thanks for all the replies, i jsut called home and was told we indeed got an apple collection notice thing today hehe, just have one more uni lecture and then i can go home and play with my ibook :)
    it wont be as much play as work since i got assignements, but im just gonna ignore that for now..

9. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Thanks for reminding me to condition my new PowerBook when it comes this week. :)

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Take a look at Apple's notes on battery care for laptops, there are some very good advice there. If you're going to keep the 'Book connected to power most of the time, be sure to download the iCal reminder to help you remember to drain and recharge the battery once a month (at least). :)