Getting in better with the in-laws....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by floriflee, Jun 1, 2006.

1. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

So the hubby talks to my family more than I do. He even IMs my sister in Salt Lake and even chats with our 15 year old niece. I swear they like him more than they like me. On the other hand I've definitely got an in with his family (at least the sisters).

Anybody else have this whole role reversal with in-laws and biological families?

Should I turn this into a poll? :D

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

My wife's closer to my mom than she is with her step-monster. She's very close to her dad.

The in-laws and I don't get along too well.

My mom and I are close.

My dad and I aren't.

I don't like people.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

my girlfriend is finishing a year in london at LSE... i spend more time with her sister and cousin than her- we go out, drink, cook, etc. good times.

can't wait 'till she gets back though...

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"Dichoso fue Adán. No tuvo suegra."
    That's all I got to say about that.

5. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I absolutely detest my insignificant other's family... they just annoy the hell out of me with their extreme conservatism coupled with a holier than thou attitude. the house rule is that my family does not visit and neither does his.
    this generally prevents negative thoughts involving honey, ants, chainsaws, salt and crossroads...argh... just thinking about them makes me want to chop them into tiny little pieces and feed them to the bugs in the entomology lab...:mad:

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Wow, this sounds like a Springer season. :)

But I think I understand. My sister tolerated my ex because I truly loved him for the good and bad. But once I decided that that I ahd enough BS, the gloves came off her. :eek:

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

As a heterosexual male I've often found the best way of "getting in" with the parents of the girl I'm dating is when you get invited to their place and have to stay for a couple of nights.

It's in this situation when I let them know I'm "pleasing" their daughter very, very well. Not by saying it directly but by ensuring enough noise in the night to remove any doubt from their minds.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I guess Australia got around to cancelling the Subtlety and Innuendo prerequisite in the National curriculum.

Also, I am reminded of (a) an embarrassing story , and (b) how, despite being somewhat isolated, the Australian people have enriched the world immeasurably.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Hee hee, In-u-end-o - sounds very rude.

But you can't just say you're "reminded of an embarrassing story" and not disclose, that's just downright rude.

Carn, spill, I won't judge....

EDIT: I thought I was being subtle. I could've said "I very loudly ****** her silly" but decided to take the high road...

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

mmhmm. Sure.

Perhaps later...I have to work on my metaphor -

Evidently, you turned around.

12. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

For some strange reason, all I can think of is what the parents' reaction from "Meet the Parents" would be. :D

I'm thoroughly intrigued....

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Well my family talks more to my wife than they do to me and I joke with her that they like her better. Its okay though.

She insists that her mom likes me better than than her. I just think its that her mom wants to keep me around her.

On a related note you might never be able to get rid of him. My "Aunt Betty" was my mom's uncle's first wife. Even after he get remarried she was still invited to family gatherings. They haven't been married in 30 years and she was at my sisters wedding in march.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, wasn't me who turned around...;)

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

awwwwwwwwwwwww

:eek: :D

16. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

My girlfriend has 1 mum, 1 dad and 1 brother.

The brother, 12, is wicked, we really get along, hes a cool kid - no probs.

The mum, resents the fact that I am the reason her daughter wants to spend more time at Uni than with her at home, although generally we speak quite nicely to each other.

The dad, doesnt look me in the eye when I talk to him and is often short with me, I try very hard with him, but get nothing. My latest plan of attack is to dress more like I'm from Essex (where they're from), ie. Timberlands and Football shirts when around him, this appears to be working.

17. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I get along fine with my father-in-law, but my mother-in-law and I suffer from a severe personality clash. We can be cordial enough and don't really fight, but she can get me angry in nothing flat and I am sure I do the same to her on occasion. My wife doesn't really have any problems with my family, but she doesn't feel particularly close to them either. She feels closer to them than to her own family though. :eek:

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

my girlfriend and i get along well with each others' families. i am fairly close to both her parents, and she with mine. one of her uncles is a bit cold to me, but i think that's both of our faults. we don't have a lot in common and i'm a bit quiet when i first meet people so unless he asks questions and draws conversation out of me, we're sort of stuck. i don't dislike him, and don't think he dislikes me, but there's definitely a bit of a wall there. oddly enough, i am fairly close with the uncle's wife (aka, the aunt).

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I should clarify that when it comes to Lori's family, I get along well with them, but it is only one sister's family that I am really close to. It's really nice visiting them between the cute 18 month old niece and the brother-in-law's PM and 30" and constant new toys he gets (professor of computer something...i don't knwo what, but he gets new Macs ordered on the day they are announced - he let me open his MPB....so cool). They are jsut a really cool family.

On the other hand, my family likes her more than they like me. I honestly don't think we will ever get rid of each other. If something did happen, she'd be at all our events, me at all of theirs...:D

20. iGary Guest

iGary

Oh boy - try your dad remarrying into a family of seven daughtesr when you're 18 and having nothing to do with them for many many years...20 years of history to break into...I totally understand.

18 grandkids, 6 brother in laws, 7 sisters...yikes.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Heh... i like my wife's family. In small doses of course. Preferably accompanied with several glasses of wine. I won't even get into hanging out with my family. :eek:

Plus my family tends to be reflexively liberal while hers tend to be reflexively conservative... so of course they both think I'm the devil.

22. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

Seven sisters!? All the sudden I have visions of "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" dancing in my head. :D That is just too much estrogen building up in one place.... *shudder*

I have to say I lucked out in the mother-in-law department. She and I get along remarkably well and talk on IM, phone, in person on a regular basis. My father-in-law I get along with well enough, but sometimes he and I have very different opinions on various issues. I've given up debating my opinion with him, as he is very stubborn and set in his ways, so I usually just end up using the "smile and nod" tactic. The hubby and everyone else in the family, for that matter, do the same thing.

23. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, seven - I was out of the hosue by then..but imagine trying to "get in" after 20 years. :eek:

They are good people and I love them, but there is only so much history one can break themselves into. :)