Getting info off old Star Max (apple clone)

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by California, Sep 13, 2005.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

A friend of mine has an old Star Max clone and needs to get stuff off the hard drive. I have no idea how to do it or what to do; does the thing have a floppy drive or what kind of cable would I use to hook it up to a newer computer? I do have a Tibook capable of running 0S 9 and could probably get a friend to give me back my old 145b PowerBook which was still running, but I am completely confused by the StarMax clone. Currently I have a 1.33 iBook and can get my hands on several g3 iMacs, tibooks, etc. Help.

Oh yeah and I still have my LCIII in storage, no monitor but was working with new battery. Can I string that up to the Star Max somehow and get a floppy off of it? Anyone know about Star Max stuff?

2. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Transfer

You should be able to connect the LC via Appletalk and get stuff off he StarMax. I would imagine the SM has the same ports as any Mac of that era. If it is a StarMax 4000 onwards they all had 10-base T ethernet so if the LC has had a ethernet card put in then it should be easy.

3. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

PS

The StarMax range all had Floppy Drives also (according to specs available)

4. RacerX macrumors 65832

:rolleyes: Or he could use the TiBook running Mac OS 9 (those did come with ethernet too).

I would only use the LC if it required a local talk connection... and even then you need to get the info off the LC... which would be worse than getting the stuff off the Star Max. :eek: