Getting information

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applespider, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    We were just having a discussion at work (where our main focus is online) about how people prefer to read information and it got me to thinking and canvassing other opinions.

Do you prefer to get information online, on paper (professionally printed or from web), in person, by phone? Do you research shopping online or just go into a store? Do you assume a store's website has its entire range or a newspaper's website its entire contents?

While I shop in a physical store much of the time (I like the immediacy of taking things home), I generally look online rather than trudging round a mall/high street. Similarly, I flick through websites rather than catalogues.

I read newspapers online (less clutter and recycling to do at home), particularly those where they update during the course of the day.

I do still read books since ebooks still seem awkward but I'd imagine that if an ebook reader and content was as easy as an iPod and iTMS, I'd be early in line (much more useful than a video player!). And when I think how much shelf space I saved by putting CDs in storage, my flat would seem twice as big without the books!

Workwise, I like using the intranet to get info rather than having lots of memos lying around the desk. But I have colleagues who print off their emails to make notes on them before they reply, let alone memos.

So... are you a digital or a paper information junkie?
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    On a tech-centered forum like this, I doubt there are many people who prefer print to digital :)

I like printed material... But digital is just so much more convenient and less cluttered, which gives it a major advantage. Not to mention, general information tends to be easier to get online than anywhere else.
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i prefer digital material more oft than not, except for books, but as you said, if a good ebook reader came out than i would probably be one of the first in line for it

i do all of my research for products online, and i look for what i want online, although i go to the stores to buy it
  4. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I like paper a lot of the time. I print out important emails and tape them to the area around my desk.
  5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I like to find my information online, but I much prefer reading it on paper. Whenever I am using something like a programming guide or a tutorial I usually print it out and read it on paper.

As far as eBooks go, I use to have one (a Rocket eBook) and while it was a joy to read in bed (it was as easy on my eyes as reading a regular book) reading it in daylight was almost impossible (due to glare) and reading it on the beach was a no-no (due to price.) I don't see them ever taking off.
  6. ziwi macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...

It really depends on the context - if it is short information I like digital - longer and I like a printout.