getting into iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mynameismatt89, Sep 25, 2006.

1. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone. I haven't really used iTunes very much, as all i do is rip my cd's onto it so i can listen to my music collection whenever i am on the go. With the release of the new ipod video and having the capability of playing games, i am interested in using the itunes store and purchasing a new ipod. I just have a few questions about this though. Ive been reading and doing some serious googling and have came across that i have to have a credit card to make an account. I always thought that to use the iTunes store you just had to buy one of those iTunes cards (I've seen them valued at $25 and $50) can i not just buy one of these 'cards' and then enter some type of activation code thats on the back of the card and use it to buy music from the store?? And each time i buy a video/game it will deduct money from the iTunes card??

Thanks very much in advance.

EDIT: This is no longer my question. See reply number 8 for more detail.

2. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I believe even with the iTunes Gift Cards, you still need to have an account and that requires a credit card. I believe you can also register for an account with a PayPal account, but PayPal requires a credit card too, haha.

Daniel.

EDIT: Just so you know, the iTunes Gift Card isn't something where you buy a song and value is deducted from your card. Rather, when you buy the card, you enter the information into your iTunes account and then your account gives you credit for however much the card was for. So then you buy songs with your account regularly until the card balance runs out, then the iTS goes back to charging your credit card.

3. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

ahhh darn, haha, ok... i guess ill have to use my parents credit card but only use money from the cards that I buy?? will this work?? their credit card wont get charged at all as long as i dont go over. Would i be able to check my card balance to ensure i dont go over??

4. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Yes. I've never used a card, but I know you can check your balance.

Daniel.

5. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

ok what i did when i first got into it was, buy a gift card, set up an itunes/mac account with it and register it with a credit card. then basically as soon as i registered with it i removed the credit card details and now it shows no credit card on file and it still works with vouchers but this is in the AUS store so it may be different in your store

6. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

well that seems like a good idea... has anyone else tried this and proved it to be successful????

7. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Give it a shot, there's not really anything to lose.

Daniel.

8. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a question to ask, but instead of making a whole new thread I thought i'd post it in a thread I created a while back.

My question is: I know you can change artist names, album names, composer, and all that in mass amounts using 'Command I' but how do you change song titles in mass amounts? Is this even possible?

Thanks,
    Matt