Getting iPod tracks onto my new Mac - HELP!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iBrockingBEATS, Jan 26, 2005.

1. iBrockingBEATS macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2004
    Ok a little background,

i bought an ipod way back when, and using my brothers PC i transferred tunes onto my ipod, since then, i have loved the ipod so much i decided to go for a powerbook, however iTunes on this Pc is of course now empty, and i want to put all the tracks from my ipod onto the PB (i no longer have the tracks on CD). however as my ipod is pc formatted (i think!)programs such as Audion, as reccomended by macuser mag, doesnt seem to work. Also in their Jan edition of the mag, is a few lines of code that will do the same, however i just cant get it work - the code they reccomend is cp-R/Volumes/[ipod name]/iPod_Control/Music/*-/Music/iPod.

however subsituting in the name of my ipod as it appears in finder, i recieve an error saying that no such file exists.

im stuck,

i have searched this site and but just cant come up with the answer. Im willing to pay for some software on the reccomendation of anyone out there, that has had the exact same problem (ie pc formatted ipod tracks to a mac)

hope someone can put me out of my misery.
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Could you find a utility to move them to the PC, then use one of the usual ways to transfer from a PC to a Mac?
  3. Brize macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2004
    Yep, what wordmunger said.

If you still have access to your brother's PC, search versiontracker for an app that will allow you to transfer songs from your iPod. I just had a quick check, and iPod Access for Windows looks like it might be a good choice for $10.
  4. Benj macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2004
    Hate to be dull but this sounds like you are breaking the law.

On the pure technical point, I agree with the others - there are utilities to move music "the other way" back onto a computer.
  5. iBrockingBEATS thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2004
    i no longer have the option of getting access to the old PC, as he no longer lives in the country, well his PC doesnt.

i am doing nothing illegal, as i paid for (legitimatley) all of the tracks on my iPod but no longer have the CD's

so i need an ap, that i can run on my mac, for my windows formatted ipod, any ideas guys and girls??

or if some programmer cud tell me what im doing wrong in the coding line that would be most appreciated.

6. heaven macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Try iPodRip
    It transfers the songs from your iPod to your Mac.

Have fun!