Getting iTunes to find new files

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by elliotay, Jun 16, 2003.

1. elliotay macrumors regular

So I have a small network of computers in the lab I'm working in this summer and I'm trying to consolidate the music libraries on the computers. All of the music I want to listen to is on one computer, but it's not the computer I use. The hard drive on the computer I'm using is too small to fit all of the music. So I want to use the rendezvous functionality of iTunes 4 to stream the music from the computer with the music to my computer. When I download music or upload a new CD to my computer I add the files to the computer with all of the music by transfering the files over the network. By doing this the files don't appear in the shared music playlist. iTunes on the computer with the music isn't aware that I've added files to it's library. I know I can just go over to it and manually drag these newly added files to iTunes, but is there another way of doing this? By writing an applescript perhaps? If I knew exactly what occurs when you manually drag the files to iTunes I might have more luck writing an applescript to do the process for me. Thanks.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

iTunes.app

File > Add To Library...

Find the folders with your songs on them. Double click the folder, and every song inside the folder will be added.

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-elliotay

Drag 'n drop baby!

Put all of your music into a single folder, then drag 'n drop it into the "Library" in the iTunes window.

Bingo!

This is also handy if you think you 'lost' some music from iTunes. You can re-Drag 'n drop the iTunes Music folder into iTunes Library and you'll get everything you lost back, while not duplicating or otherwise screwing up anything in your existing Library.

4. elliotay thread starter macrumors regular

I can't just drag and drop because I'm not on the computer with all the music. We're keeping all of the music on a computer in the lab that I don't have access to. So I need that computer to recognize when a new file is added to it's library and then go to

File -> Add to Library...

and then select choose. This sounds like a perfect task for an applescript, but I am VERY new at scripting and having been trying to come up with a way to do this for the past hour, unsuccessfully. Any help from any of you scripters out there would be much appreciated.