getting linksys wireless card to work in panther

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by five04, Dec 23, 2003.

1. five04 macrumors member

i'm planning on buying an ibook g4 within the next couple of weeks while i'm visiting my girlfriend in new hampshire (no sales tax there :D). anyways, i'm switching from a pc laptop and i've been using a linksys WPC55AG wireless card. it supports 802.11 a, b, and g. i never use 'a' so support for that doesn't matter. i would like to get 'b' working at least though. it's using the atheros chipset in it. i've done a little searching around to see if it'd work, but haven't really come up with any real answers. this is a $100 card so i'd rather not spend $90 on an airport extreme card. any insight?

2. Macpoops macrumors 6502

You have no shot at getting that to work on Panther and an iBook G4. Why? Because the ibook lacks the PC Card slot you would need. Only the 15 and 17 inch powerbooks have them. I doubt you could getting work on them either. You'd be better off sucking it up and buying the Airport extreme because it's a much more elegant solution. Sorry to break it too you. But your out of luck

3. five04 thread starter macrumors member

well damn. maybe i can get some money for this on ebay then. here's another thought though, i do have a usb 802.11b adapter made by microsoft (MN-510). would that work? i don't really care if it looks bad since i'd only need wireless when i'm at a desk.

4. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Probably not without a hack and in my opinion wouldn't be too reliable. Apple is really tailored their computers to work with Airport and Airport Extreme. Build in antennas and such. Your still better off just getting the AE card.

5. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Does an Airport Extreme have the capability of routing a broadband signal to different computers at blazing speeds? I've got a Belkin Router that's just not working these days, and Belkin is clueless.