getting mail 1 signatures into mail 2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jelloshotsrule, May 30, 2005.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

how does one do it? i got all my old messages... but how can i get my signatures in?

thanks

2. swheeler macrumors member

mine transferred ovber no problem, didn't have to do anything. They were turned off, but they were there, I just had to fix the prefs.

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

did you do an upgrade/archive? i did a clean install of tiger.... had to import my mailboxes in... and can't seem to figure out how to get signatures in..

4. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

no one eh?

hmm

well does anyone know of a way i can open up my signatures.plist file in something that will allow me to copy/paste the text of my signatures? i can open the file in text edit but it shows the names of the signatures, but not the actual text.. just a bunch of garbled stuff..

thanks

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I did an archive and install and all my signatures tagged along when I imported all my mail upon starting Mail 2 for the first time.

Both Panther and Tiger signatures should be located in ~/Library/Mail/Signatures.plist so I guess you could just move your old file over from backup. (You do have backup, don't you? ;)) But there's also a Signatures folder on the above mentioned location under Tiger with a couple of files in (e.g. SignaturesByAccount.plist) so there might be some fiddling after you've copied the Signatures.plist over...

Edit: Any text editor should be able to open the Signatures.plist file (but Property List Editor.app, which is a part of the Developer install is maybe the best thing to use).

6. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well i had tried copying the signatures.plist file over (replacing the tiger one) and that didn't work... but it seems like when i copied it and made it the signaturesbyaccount.plist that worked... figures! hah

well thanks for the tip

7. furie macrumors newbie

ok, maybe i'm an idiot, but I replaced my current signaturesbyaccount.plist with my old signatures.plist(renamed ofcourse) but it did not work. my old signatures still aren't showing. any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

8. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i replaced both signature plists with my old one and it worked... hmm... weird.

9. furie macrumors newbie

Both? One is located in ~/Library/Mail/Signatures
    where's the other file?

10. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the other was located right in the "mail" folder, as opposed to within "signatures".. i think. not on os x right now so i don't know for sure. if i remember right, the file in the mail folder had the same name as the old signatures file.... so i replaced both with the same (old) signatures file, and just matched the names as needed...

11. furie macrumors newbie

OK, i'll give that a try tonight. I'm on my work PC right now. thanks for the help!

12. furie macrumors newbie

13. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahhh, glad it worked! that may be the first time i've actually helped someone on here. hah