Getting married...Macs must go.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rovias, May 21, 2005.

1. Rovias macrumors member

Hello all,

This is a very sad day for me. Because of various expenses, I'm having to sell both of my Macs. I have a 15-inch 1.25 GHz Powerbook G4 with 512 MB RAM, 80 GB hard drive, Airport Extreme card, Bluetooth, and a Superdrive. I also have a 1.25 GHz Mac mini with all of the base specs, except that I added an Airport Extreme card.

I am going to use the money to try and pay off some of my bills and hopefully have enough left over to get an iBook (probably the cheapest one I can afford). My question is, how much do you think a good asking price is for these two computers? I have a college buddy who's interested in buying my Powerbook, and I need to get back to him with a price soon. He also might purchase the mini if the price is right. If not, I'll probably put it up on eBay.

Oh yes, and the Mac mini is coming with a 15" flat-panel monitor, Apple Keyboard, and Logitech two-button optical mouse. Tiger and iLife '05 are included as well.

Can anyone give me a fair assessment of the value of these items?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

do a search for closed auction on ebay for the items you want to price. average the items that basically match your item and condition. the average will be around fair market value, or you can just look at the ranges and figure out a price.

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would say about 450-500 for the mini. Well thats what i would try to get for it anyway.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The wife needs to go.. sorry. The Macs don't leave.

5. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

I'm assuming she's selling her Windows computer(s) as well, right?!?

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Ahh, you don't need to sell a Mac mini!

Tell her that the wedding ring needs to go instead, unless it has a nice shiny Apple logo on it...

7. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

LOL that is why i am still single.... Its kinda a pain in the ass sometimes all my friends have girlfriends/Boyfriends except me... :p

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Basing this on no prior selling experience, and no eBay experience or look-up of pricing from eBay, and having no idea what sort of monitor you're including with the Mac Mini, I'm going to guesstimate a price of $550-600 for the Mac Mini with keyboard + display + mouse, and a price of $1900-2000 for the Powerbook, as it has a superdrive and everything.

9. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

I agree with you on the mac mini. I'd even say $650 tops. But the PB would only fetch about $1400 or so. I'm basing this off of Apples site. They're selling the exact PB as an Apple Certified and it's going for $1599. Consider this one is used and no warranty, $1400 sounds about fair.

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Two words for ya bud: Cubic Zirconia

The macs stay, the PCs go. Live on beans for a while if you have to.

11. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Life's a bitch!!

But hey, think on the bright side; you can always buy back your macs (or purchase shiny new ones) when you get some financial security behind you. Couple a' thirty inch displays and a 3.5GHz quad core (no doubt coming eventually) ought to do it!!! hehe.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But a new 15" 1.67GHz G4 with Superdrive is going for $2300!! I think I may have overestimated with a $1900-2000 price tag. Maybe it should be $1700-1800, as its processor is slower, and its a used Powerbook, but these things have high resale value.

13. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I love you. :) :) :)

14. tfh1013 macrumors member

15. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

You have your priorities straight. Congrats on that.
    I agree on the pB at about 2,000. I'd keep the Mini if at all possible. Cheaper than the iBook you said you might get.

16. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Indeed. You should educate her on the truth of diamonds instead of selling all you have to buy her some polished stone.

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

So maybe I'm reading a little too much into this, but if the $2,000 you're going to get for these Macs is a make-or-break for your wedding, perhaps you should reconsider getting married right now. I realize things may seem a little tight, but what are you going to do when you have no computer after you get married?

If you must, sell the PB and keep the mini - you'll need something to stay online (you'd miss MR, right? ;)) and to do e-bills, etc.

Of course, we don't get all the details, but I hope your fiancé isn't directing you to sell this stuff off, and you're doing it on your own...

18. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Why do people these days get married on a whim? What ever happened to getting married when you are financially secure? Instead of having to sacrifice your possessions, why don't you just save up more money. What is she giving up? If you giving up a lot, she should give up the same. Anyway, I wish you the best and many years of happiness.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

Scary how much we think alike. :eek:

20. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Ah, but if we all waited to be financially secure before we did anything half of us probably wouldn't have macs ;) .
    Talk to your bank if you want to get married. Ask your mates for money rather than tat as wedding presents. Cut back a little (only a little, mind) on the costs of the wedding - some of them are ridiculous expenses.

There is of course a silver lining if you do get rid of your PB that you can extract a promise to allow you to get the latest model after the next revision. :D

And most of all have a great day and enjoy your lives together. Computers can be replaced - upgrading a wife can be much harder (and a hell of a lot more expenseive).

21. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I think it's a shame that you are feeling forced to give up valuable tools
    and that's what you have there.

I would consider selling something less useful.

22. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

A kidney???

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

One of these days.......

You'll find yourself thinking

"and to think I gave up my Macs for this? "

:rolleyes:

24. Willy S macrumors 6502

What´s with these weddings???

I got married last year and the wedding reception cost $15, since we live abroad and our families didn´t know of the wedding in advance. Weddings are about love and marriage but not lousy and expensive receptions. We haven´t bought any rings yet, but we plan to spend around $20 for some silver.

And instead of wedding expenses, we are students and have a great iMac and are going to buy another Mac!

Finance 101...

25. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Shine up the outside of the mini and put it on a ring, now there's a rock to be proud of! ;)