Getting MBP tomorrow - Core 2 for 1800 or Core for 1500?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rdhmario3suit, Dec 11, 2006.

  1. rdhmario3suit macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2005
    #1
    I'm getting a new MBP 15" tomorrow at my campus's apple store. Anyways I technically could pay 1800, but it's borderline over my budget. 1500 would be better on my wallet, but the core 1 is slower and the videocard I've heard is underclocked. Plus, I'm afraid of heating issues.

    So what do you guys say?

    Thanks
     
  2. stevehp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Location:
    It's not a house, it's a home.
    #2
    It seems from your post that you have already made up your mind, and just like me, need lots of support! ;) Spend the extra 300.
     
  3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    #3
    Consider too:
    probably bigger HD
    DL write support
    FW 800
    64 bit

    The CD are known for heat/noise problems.
     
  4. rdhmario3suit thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2005
    #4
    Haha exactly. I torture myself over purchases.
     
  5. rdhmario3suit thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2005
    #5
    Is the 64 bit a big deal or is that just going to be for later?
     
  6. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    #6
    Not a big deal if you are asking.
     
  7. stevehp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Location:
    It's not a house, it's a home.
    #7
    unless you are programming future technologies that will run or run 64 bit only it'll make a difference. But in that case, you'd probably be getting a Mac Pro in the first place. By the time 64 bit applications are widespread, these MBPs will be almost obsolete I think...
     
  8. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    Location:
    VA
    #8
    What do you plan to use the computer for? The MacBook Pro CD is a very powerful machine. The C2D aren't a whole lot faster.

    I assume you're looking at a refurbished CD? If so, there's always the possibility that you'll get more than what you pay for. I did.

    As for your budget, I say exercise responsibility and stick to it.
     
  9. rdhmario3suit thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2005
    #9
    Both are new, and are through my student discount.

    Also, there's a core duo w/ 1 G ram and the 256mb X1600 for 1700, also new

    I'm doing final cut pro video editing
     
  10. nospleen macrumors 68000

    nospleen

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2002
    Location:
    Texas
    #10
    I would look at it this way. Will you ever look back and say, "I wish I would have purchased the slower, FW800 less, DL less, 64 bitless MBP!"

    If you would say yes, then go for the CD. If not, get the CD2, you would probably not miss the $300 in a few months.
     
  11. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    Location:
    VA
    #11
    What speed is the 1500 CD?

    I would definitely avoid the 1700 CD as the C2D would certainly be a better value.
     
  12. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #12
    And Consider the terrible LCD on both models -- uneven illumination galore. New C2D chip aside, I just returned my $1799 MacBook Pro C2D after a month. I'm a film editor and would never in a million trust the grays on that screen (esp. when cutting black and white stuff on-the-go). Save the cash, get a solid sweet-spot priced Macbook and buy a 20" LCD. or wait it out until MWSF; perhaps, by then, there'll be silent updates or, better yet, C2D refurbs at a better price point.
     
  13. rdhmario3suit thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2005
    #13
    I already have a good 19" LCD...but if the MBP's screen seems good enough I'll probably just sell the monitor.

    I think the Core Duo runs at 2.16

    AND I just sold my macbook to get the MBP...b/c the Macbook just doesn't cut it in the performance department.
     

Share This Page