Getting Movies onto an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hrothgar, Dec 19, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2009
    New York
    Sorry if this is a basic question. I have an iPad I, without 3G. What are my options for getting movies onto the iPad?

I know I can download movies from iTunes. (Kind of expensive, I think.)
    I can stream Netflix over wireless.

If I have a DVD, can I download it to my MBP and then transfer it to the iPad?
    Are there sites where I can (legally) download a movie using wireless into the iPad to watch when I don't have a wireless connection?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2007
    One option is to rip your DVD using the free application, Handbrake. Just use one of the built-in presets for iPad. When finished, drag the file to the open iTunes window and then sync it to your iPad.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2009
    New York

Anything else? Are all the people I see watching movies on the iPad downloading from iTunes or copying?
  4. macrumors 68030

May 3, 2010
    That's pretty much it. Assuming they aren't streaming from a home server, Netflix or one of the cable networks, then it's either rent/buy from Apple or copy from your own DVDs.
  5. macrumors regular

Jun 22, 2011
    I use the Handbrake method detailed by Tonewheel above.
    Simple, works well.
  6. macrumors 6502

Dec 14, 2011
    You can install the VLC iPad app. While the iPad is connected, click on the app tab and scroll down. There you'll see a list with apps where you can add files to. Click the VLC app and drag 'n drop your movie files.

Cancels all the waiting times out for changing formats through handbrake.