Getting my 20" Cinema Display Back Home

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JackArc, Dec 12, 2006.

1. JackArc macrumors regular

JackArc

I am coming back home to Seattle for a 6 week break from school on Saturday. I am currently in California. I take it shipping it in a box extremely padded up through the postal service is the best way to go about it. Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions? The last thing I want is my beautiful monitor to break during travel.

Thanks,
    jack

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I had to ship some crystal from the Pacific Northwest to Toronto once. I took it to a "postal annex" store. They did a professional job of packing it, and it arrived in perfect shape. I would suggest that to you, and maybe think about either UPS/Fedex/DHL (no flames please - I know there are some out there that will not use "xxx") and you can ship two day from there and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Just my thoughts...

3. JackArc thread starter macrumors regular

JackArc

Thanks, if I shipped overnight Friday morning, do you think it would arrive sometime Saturday?

Also, how much do you think overnight would cost with that heavy of an item?

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Saturday delivery costs extra, and overnight for heavy things is REALLY expensive.

Your best bet is to pack it extremely well and ship it UPS or FedEx ground. That will run you somewhere in the $25-30 range.

5. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

That would be a question to ask the shipper. But keep in mind that there are two forms of next day delivery. One gets it there in the morning delivery for a healthy cost increase. The other gets it there sometime that day. There may also be an extra charge for a Saturday delivery. If you can do without for a day extra, ship Friday morning for a Monday delivery. The cost should go way down for that. Good luck, have a great vacation!

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Or you have them pack it themselves, in which case they'll insure it for both loss and damage during shipment.

7. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

In fear of saying this -- just one more thing :D -- If you are thinking Fedex, the Fedex Ground and Express are two different companies - check rates with both of them.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

9. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Good thought about the carrying it, jessica. - but, it might be a little large for carry-on, assuming the OP is flying. JackArc - are you remembering that you have to get it back to Cal whence the vacation is over?

10. JackArc thread starter macrumors regular

JackArc

Because I'll be flying, anyway I could check it? In a packaged box of course? Or is that 2 risky?

11. JackArc thread starter macrumors regular

JackArc

Yeah, I will more than likely get it back down to socal the same way I got it back home.

12. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Have you ever watched baggage handlers load an aircraft? The risk is your call. Me - I'd ship it!

13. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Oh - don't forget to insure it with the shipper you use, for what it would cost you to replace it!!!

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

seems like a lot of work if you ask me. Are you sure its worth all this just to take it home for a couple of weeks?

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

not to thread hijack but how does one transport an imac in the car? How do you lay it down.... the screen side up or down.... (i plan on wrapping a towel around it to protect from scratches

16. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Buy it a seat next to you on the flight? ;)

I'd just ship it with full insurance and pro packaging. That way when it breaks, they won't be able to blame you. :)

17. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Surely you kept your box!!?? :confused:

18. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

If you really want it protected you can get a Pelican case. Any one that will fit your ACD like the 0370 Cube will be ruddy expensive, but by far worth it because it will not break no matter what and you can carry it with you everywhere.

19. job macrumors 68040

job

It's a legit question, especially if you're in school and don't have the room to keep/store the box in your dorm.

I dumped my huge eMac box the day I got it and haven't looked back since.

20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

of course i have the box silly.... its at home :p :D :rolleyes:

Yea considering i never take my imac home it isn't worth it to "make room" for it... hopefully next (school) year i'll have an apartment

edit - i wonder if i go to the apple store they'll give me a shipping box that they used to send out the duds?

21. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Airlines' Contracts of Carriage state that the airline is not responsible for damage to electronics in checked baggage. The ticketing agent probably wouldn't even accept it as baggage.

If you really can't be without it for a few days, you could check with the freight office of whichever airline you're flying and see if you can get the box flown as air freight on the same flight you're flying. That would at least insure the value, and rampers are very careful with air freight. Also, shipping via Air freight would be ludicrously expensive.

My suggestion is to such it up and take it to the UPS store, ship it ground (it should only take two days or so from CA to WA) and be without a screen for a couple of days.

22. JackArc thread starter macrumors regular

JackArc

Is 6 weeks not a long time to be away from a computer? I do not have a laptop

23. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

How are you getting the computer itself home? Is it a mini?

6 Weeks is a long time to be without a computer however it would probably be cheaper and easier just to buy a monitor and leave it at home. 19" windscreens are pretty cheap these days. You could get something even smaller that will fit in your luggage... that way you could have the dual monitors at school and the smaller monitor at home. I guess that doesn't make much sense if it's a mini though.