Getting my wisdom teeth removed on Wednesday... (SCARED & AFRAID)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by diehldun, Jun 18, 2006.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Oh dear. My mom scheduled an appointment to have my wisdom teeth removed this Wednesday. She figues I better get them out before I head off to college.

As never having been through surgery or anestesia, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I did some searching on these forums, and read some grotesque horror stories about infections, "dry sockets", vomiting after waking up, etc. :eek:

What is the IV/anestesia needle like? As I've always been terrified of needles since I was a child, even getting a flu shot is big deal to me. Do you "go out" knowing that you're going to sleep (take a long, gradual time), or is it instantaneous.

I guess I'm nervous also because I've never been operated on, and my mom vomitted right after waking from her wisdom teeth operation back in the 1980s. After hearing about "dry sockets", I've even become worried about eating afterwards.

I went to a consultation with my mom to talk to the doctor. He was trying to calm me down, but I think it's the unexpectedness and mystery that's making me so terrified! And what a rotten day to celebrate my summer holiday (getting the operation on the first day of vacation :( )

2. vniow macrumors G4

I had mine done a couple months ago under a local so I didn't get completely knocked out. The operation was a relatively painless procedure, except for one side that wouldn't go completely numb even after sticking it multiple times.

I'm not afraid of needles at all so that wasn't an issue, the most pain-in-the-ass part of the procedure was the bleeding afterwards and the gauze I had to place in the bak of my mouth. My chin/jaw area also felt swollen and numb after I left but it looked fine. The bleeding diminished after a short while and I got my Vicodin perscription which was a HUGE releif and I could actually talk normally within a few hours.

All and all it was more discomfort than pain, the most pain was the anesthesia needles but after that took effect it was (mostly) a smooth ride painwise from there.

You're not going to able to eat solid food for a few days and it'll feel weird for awhile not to have those teeth there but you'll get used to it shortly. I took the next day off of work just in case but I could have gone. Your milage may vary.

-Ani

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I had mine out in high school. I had gas, not injections, and was in that half-out state where I could understand what I was being told but had no memory of it afterward.

No pain afterward whatsoever. No dry socket. No lingering effects. I went to a picnic later that afternoon and ate (soft foods). I know some people have horror stories, but I've had worse times with splinters.

4. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Dont sweat it... especially if they are putting you under... this is how i had mine done years ago.... doc will give you some gas to relax you and then knock you out with a punch to the face:p ... i mean an IV... sorry :eek:

when you first wake you will not be in any pain... trust me... but you will be high as the cost of living for an hour or two after you awake....

after you come down from the sedatives will have some minor pain, but its really no that bad. (the doc will give you pain pills for this... probably 5 mili vicodins that will certainly take care of any pain your experiencing)

just follow the doctors orders regardiing not eating solid foods for a few days... i did not do this and got an infection.... even that was not soo bad.... had to go back in get the cavities flushed out with water and then he packed the cavitys with some stuff that got rid of the infection....

all in all i have to say it wasnt that bad.... even with the infection. (that i never would have gotten if i had just followed the docs orders on what to eat for the next 3 days...)

Good luck and stop worrying.... everything will be fine...;)

Edit: After the doc inserted my iv he asked me to start counting backwards from 100... i think i got to 92 and i was out cold.... it happens pretty darn quick.... you just get very warm and fuzzy and sleepy and then GOOD NIGHT... it felt like it was 1 min later and the doc was waking me up with everything finished....

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Let us know how it goes. I get mine out on the 27th :eek:

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You'll be fine, it's a piece of cake.

Get a stocking and tie a knot in the middle, put small bags of ice in each side wrapped in a thin tea-towel. Tie it with the knot under your chin and the ice on either side of your face. You'll look like an arseclown but you won't get any bruising if you keep it up, on for a bit, then off for a bit then back on.

Do EXACTLY what the orthodontist says and you'll be right as rain. Take it easy, be gentle with cleaning when you're allowed to start brushing again and everything will be fine. Having mine out sure took a lot of pain away from my fairly crowded jaw and it's definitely worth not having to worry about the worse problems you'll have later on if you leave them in.

Deep breaths, everything's fine.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

My orthodontist got me to count to ten, he said my exact words were "One, Two, thrGood night nurse"

I woke up back in the hospital bed busting for the toilet (I have been in hospital with rotting hip bones and have still never used that little bottle) so i got up and walked out to the toilet thinking all the way "what it this huge spongy thing that's sticking out from my mouth?" turns out it was my very numb, but very normal-sized bottom lip, very strange feeling.

I had a bit of blood round my mouth so I cleaned myself up a bit (I have a habit of doing this, nurses don't like me cause that's meant to be their job but I always wake up earlier than expected and take myself off to the toilet) but other than that I looked fine. The stocking ice pack thing kept my bruising down to a bit of colour for less than a morning and it was gone after that.

It's really nothing to be worried about.

8. Frozone macrumors 6502

Getting your wisdom teeth cut out is not really all that bad.

Word of caution though. If you're the type that gets dizzy really easily, then do NOT take a hot bath later that day, espically if you're like me and refused to take the pain medication they give you afterwards. I took an extremely hot bath and when I stood up, fainted and hit my head on the tub and then woke up scrambling trying to push my way up out of the water not knowing what's going on. I had to sit back down in the tub for about 10 minutes, and then try again. I nearly fainted the second time, but sat on the edge of the tub and leaned against the wall until the dizziness passed.

9. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry if i sound like a pussycat...

but I (shamefully) think that the part that scares me the most is the IV/anestesia needle! Is it the "same" pain as an ordinary flu shot?

Thanks anyways for such responses! My mom calls me a wimp :eek:

10. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

i wouldnt sweat it, my older brother just had is out a couple days ago. he's on some wicked pain killers so he says it doesnt hurt that much. as for the IV he said that his whole body went all tingly then he didnt remember anything. just dont think about it when they do it, and you'll be ok. just dont eat anything solid/sharp for the first two days or so, or else you'll get infected and let me telly you ITS NOOOOT FUUUUNN!:( :( you be fine. just dont make any big decisions/do anything stupid like sign your life away withing the first 3 hours of wakin up. cause you wont make much sense.

oh by the way, Vicodin is a narcotic FYI (just what i heard)

11. Frozone macrumors 6502

The hours afterwards were actually the least painful, for me atleast. I had mine cut out and walked into the Pharmacy dancing and singing. It wasn't until a few hours later when I got home that the pain set in.

12. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

noooooo! it is a very sharp thin needle... you will BARELY feel a pinch....

if you that worried about it ask the doc for a little gas before the nurse sticks you (if he hasent given it to you already)... a few deep breaths of medical grad nitrous oxide and you wont care if he is sticking a gutter nail in your arm;)

again.... dont sweat it... everything will be fine...

13. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

yes vicodin is a narcotic... Hydrocodone (opium derivative) and acetametaphin.... takes care a mild pain well... not to worry though .... he will only give you around a 10 day supply which is nothing to worry about...

you would need to eat 3-5 a day for 2 or 3 months before feeling any dependancy to the hydro.... so do what the doc says regarding food and take you pain meds and everything will go very smoove....;)

Edit: damn i linked to the wrong post again... sorry meant to quote xander above you :eek:

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

As for dry sockets...

If you don't know what they are, it's when the blood clot dissolves letting the blood out of the cavity, thus making a "dry socket." Having that cavity full of blood is crucial for healing.

Do NOT eat anything warm/hot or drink anything carbonated, both might dissolve the clot. Also, DO NOT USE A STRAW!!!

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

... and a very good one at that. :p

16. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I don't think it's anything to worry about it's a pretty common procedure.

I wish I could get mine out. I was scheduled back in January, and complications with insurance keep showing up. I just want this damn thing out.

17. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I got mine taken out spring break this year.
    About the needle, I almost passed out.

Just kidding, they said I couldn't eat or drink for like 12 hours before or whatever, so I was dehydrated, and it was hot in the room, and they attached all this crap to my fingers and wrist. I was sweating hard. Needle went in, and I didn't even feel it, and then it was nighty-night for 40 minutes!
    waking up is the fun part, it takes a bit for the drugs to wear off.

18. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Vicodin is awesome! A couple of them followed by a glass of bourbon is like heaven.

I was given Tylox when my wisdom teeth were removed. No problems or complications that I can remember. It was 1988, so my memory may be faulty.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Im getting quesey just reading this thread and I still need to get mine out. Something about messing with my body I can't take mentally so I usually get pretty faint lol

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

From my experience of getting teeth pulled (and other dental procedures), I've found the best thing to do is take it very easy for the first 24-48 hours (or maybe longer). Even if the dentist says I can go home and eat, I'll wait until the next morning before I even try and drink anything.

When I got two of my molars pulled and when I had gum surgery, I had virtually no pain at all, and I think taking things slower than suggested helped a lot.

That said, if the dentist says you should eat, or you need to take your medication on a full stomach, always follow the medical professional's directions religiously. It will pay off in the end.

21. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Agreed, personally i like Norco's even more ... got some for my back and lets just say i fell in love for a month! ... too bad i didnt get any refills.... maybe ill fall down the stairs tomorrow... :D

22. Timepass macrumors 65816

I have had oral surgery 2 times now (one for exposing a tooth about 8 years ago) and wisedom teeth 3-4 years ago. Both times was knock out.

Most painful part of that part is when they put the IV in. I dont like needles not afraid of them but I really really dont like them. My trick to is I dont look. I look off the opisit direction with me mentally forcing that arm to be relaxed (normally my other arm is pretty tense).

After that you dont feel much and they will put in the drug to put you under. First time I remember seeing 1 heart rate mointor become 2 heart monitor and then split again to 4 monitors and then I was out. Next thing I remember is having galze in my mouth and a nurse waking me up.

When I got my wisedom teeth out. needle in uncle checks on me (he was removing my wisedom teeth). Say night night and boom I was out.

The most painful night for me was the first night and yeah it hurt quite a bit and the only reason I got any sleep was the pain killers I was given put me out. 2nd day it was noughting more than a dull pain. Did eat anything the first day really wasnt hungery.

Oh and soup will be your best friend for about 4-5 days.

Dont eat any chips for at least a week. No straws no cokes really. dont eat anything that will be able to form a sharp hard edge and you will be fine.

Really just relax and enjoy being pampered for a day and sleeping all day long. The drugs will have you pretty sleeping for about a day.

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I wouldn't eat that soup hot or warm if I were you...

24. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

A dry socket can be INCREDIBLY painful... I know. Don't use a straw, don't even touch it. Let it heal for a few days before you eat anything not already pre-chewed. I heard that using a tea bag on it helps a lot, so I did that and it worked. Kept it covered and just felt good.
    Are you having them pulled becasue they are impacted? Do they hurt? Do they have massive cavities? Are they crowding the other teach - pushing them out of alignment? If you answered no to all of these, reconsider. My mom is 81 and STILL has hers. As for the procedure itself, it is uneventful. Don't be a wuss. And besides, the anasthesia is AWESOME. Legally F**KED up. But after that, aspirin is fine.

25. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

all 4 out at once. :eek: 2 went 'dry socket'. was laid up in bed for a week with my new best friend "percocet". don't remember much of that week which is a good thing. avoid super hot/cold liquid, don't even think about solids. get lots of good books/movies/games/'your thing here' before hand and rest/wait it out.

good luck!