Getting myself a mac mini tomorrow! :-D

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mikemodena, Jul 28, 2005.

1. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Well, my ibook will soon be sold on ebay... it just hit the reserve of $700, although I expect it to go much higher, as it is the one in my sig. I really
    don't need a laptop, and I want a desktop so I can use native resolution of my 17" LCD. I seem to have made a great summer job out of website design and that 12" screen is giving me migranes. I needed a bigger workspace... so two days ago I listed my ibook on ebay and will be going to the Danbury Mall tomorrow to the Apple store and buying a mac mini. I'm thinking that if the iBook (which I got as a gift anyway) sells high enough I might just have them install 1GB of ram at the store.. saves me waiting a couple days for Crucial to mail it. I would just order it from Apple.com, but I have to mail the ibook to its new owner and I can't go a week without a computer.. I'll lose too much money. Ah.. so excited! I wish I could get a PowerMac though, but I don't think I need one that bad.

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

to me it sounds like, for the money, that the mini mac is perfect without having to shell out additional funds

you already have a monitor, and an lcd at that

good luck and have fun with your new machine

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds like the mini will work fine for you (especially w/ 1GB DDR).

4. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I use to get migranes on my 12" too, but have upgraded to the 15" PB, and haven't had any more headaches.

5. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

6. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

oh yea congrats my friend....and if you ever get the cash i highly recomend gettin another gig...:D

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am tempted by the Micro Center Mac mini (the rev A) with 1gb RAM and BT/AE for $799 right now.

8. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Yeah.. I am getting the extra gig.. gonna get it straight from apple though and have them install it at the store.. I use Flash, Photoshop, and goLive, usually all at once.. so I can't afford to wait for the gig in the mail.

Oh and I didn't get a chance to go today.. my mom had to work :/

Going tomorrow morning though ;)

9. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

That's $200 more and it only has 512MB more RAM than the $599 Mac mini. It'd only cost roughly $50 to upgrade to a 1GB stick. That's after buuying the 1GB stick and selling the 512MB stick.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My bad, that is also with the SDD....

So just a $100 more than the $699 unit.

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

thought about a mini, too

has anyone here bought a mac mini who primarily used to have an older, professional line mac...i am using a dual 500 g4 power mac, 1 gb ram, 16 mb vram, 100 mhz system bus, and i run os x, and os 9.2 with photoshop, illustrator, and pagemaker

i know the mini has a faster system bus, more vram, faster system ram, and a faster processor than both my 500 mhz g4s combined...on paper the mini, though a consumer product, should be able to totally out do my old 2000-2001 era power mac

i can't see anything in the system stats of my power mac vs those of the mac mini that would lead me to believe that a new, inexpensive mac mini would not be able to totally outperform the old power mac i have now

has anybody upgraded from an old professional mac to a mini mac or ibook for that matter? i once had a $4,100 dollar power tower pro from 1996 and replaced it with a $1,599 dollar ibook from 1999 and the ibook totally outperformed the power tower so i figure the performance lag time between a professional product line and a consumer line is probably less than two years

in those days, an ibook was never mentioned in the same sentence as photoshop, illustrator, pagemaker, and the like but i installed them anyway and the ibook rarely crashed using those "big" programs

12. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Gotcha, I was wondering how you thought it was deal. That's not a bad deal...