Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mca7

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
It currently isn't there. And they don't show the feature in the welcome video that plays when you sign into mobileme.
I think they even took off the mobileme idisk page on the apple website. I swear that they showed it in the video or at least in pictures on the page but its gone now...

I really hope apple doesn't pull this feature and its just a case of having initial start up problems like they have been having. If I weren't already a .mac user I would have bought mobileme for this function alone. Its such a hassle to walk people through how to access my public folder on my idisk. The email way is an awesome solution! Please Apple!

The only mention of this function is here, and yet the picture dosen't show it.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    172 KB · Views: 311

Howdytc

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
I agree. This is a feature I REALLY want. It still shows it in the long guided tour video, but all I get when I select a file is the download button.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Public Folder Quirks

There is another problem with it also. Not only the Share Button Missing.
If you go to the Help for MobileMe, it tells you how to share files for ALL the files in you Public Folder.
For Windows, you go to Control Panel/MobileMe Preferences. Then Click on The iDisk Tab, place a CheckMark in the 'Password-protect your Public Folder', Click on Set Password, enter your Password for that folder, confirm it, and Click on OK.
Well, if you then go to http://public.me.com/username, it will open that Public Folder but prompts you for BOTH a Username AND Password. I cann't find a Username that works because it isn't the Username for the MobileMe account and you haven't been asked for a Username when you password protected that Public folder but just a Password.
If you leave the 'Password-portect your Public Folder' as in the abobe instructions Unchecked, then anything you place in your Online Public directory can be seen and downloaded in your browser by entering http://public.me.com/username (for the account).
Hopefully they will correct this error and the individual sharing of files with the Share button in the near future.

Beau

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2006
mca, try putting "public" in as the username and whatever password you set up. That may work. It's how the .mac public idisk folder has been working for a while because you're mounting only the "public" folder and for some reason that's the user name. Hopefully it works for your situation.

Beau

mca7

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
tried it and didn't work, won't let me sign in.

its not just me who is having the problem, as far as I know no one has the "share" button function.

Beau

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2006
Too bad. Not sure why the iDisk public folder password isn't working for you. I just tried using "public" (all lowercase) as the username following the link you gave (with my username of course) and it worked.

Regarding the sharing feature though, it looks like they are either holding it back until they fix a problem (one of many considering all the stuff that wasn't working in the past couple days) or they won't be offering it soon for some other reason. I grabbed these photos from the site before they pulled them yesterday. This is how it was going to look if they had it. It really was one of the features I was waiting for.

Attachments

• idisk_gallery_1_20080618.jpg
    idisk_gallery_1_20080618.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 153
  • idisk_gallery_2_20080618.jpg
    idisk_gallery_2_20080618.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 119
  • idisk_gallery_3_20080618.jpg
    idisk_gallery_3_20080618.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 141

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
i looked around a bit more, and apple still has an article posted about it in their mobile me help pages. It can be accessed by going to http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/ When you are there, go to the grey box that says iDisk > Sharing Files using iDisk > Sharing Specific Files Using iDisk. This explains that when you would share a file, you are sending a link for them to download it from (as you already know...) But when I though about it, going to idisk.me.com/username/public goes to the old idisk with the .mac logo and stuff. So i'm thinking that once they overhaul the look of the public iDisk page, they will add the sharing feature.

I'm not sure what i just typed makes sense but it does to me. oh well....:apple:

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
mca, try putting "public" in as the username and whatever password you set up. That may work. It's how the .mac public idisk folder has been working for a while because you're mounting only the "public" folder and for some reason that's the user name. Hopefully it works for your situation.

Beau
The opening of the public folder with the username of public worked for me.
Thank You

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
How do I go about even sharing my public folder? I have some files I'd like for some friends to be able to retrieve at their leisure.

bytefire

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
I e-mailed them asking where the feature was but I haven't received a reply yet. Its over the 24hrs the site said I would get a reply in and coming upto the 48hrs the automated reply stated I would hear back in.

I think they don't know what to say at the moment. Maybe they are waiting for an official announcement on what to tell customers.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
This is yet another borked feature. I can't believe how badly this has gone. I wanted this feature, since my friends don't use an IM that allows them to share files with me.

And the iDisk doesn't allow one to upload iWork files.

What a mess. Complete rubbish and no information posted by Apple.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Another? in addition of...what?

Can't upload iWork files to the iDisk. It's Apple's own productivity suite for God's sake. Not good enough,

Push doesn't work properly between the desktop and MobileMe (despite Apple giving the impression it would, and now backtracking). Push mail between iPod Touch and MobileMe is spotty, at best. Again, not good enough.

I had been thinking of dumping .mac for free services, but I kept it because of the sync stuff and the ease of use of iDisk (for $2 a week it was OK). I had been looking around for other alternatives, but MobileMe looked like a keeper.

But it just isn't good enough. I expect better from Apple. At the very least I expect acknowledgement that promised features have not been delivered, instead of sly updates to the MobileMe website where the missing features have become un-features a la Nineteen-Eighty-Four.

Sadly, it is not. It's pretty, but it doesn't really work as advertised. If Apple want me to keep paying for it, they better enable the share files feature, fix the iWork uploading, and make the push work as they implied it would. If not, I won't be renewing and I'll move my cloud computing to Google. They better buck their ideas up about the Mac as well, or I will be switching to a Linux based desktop next time (I'd rather die than use Vista, and Ubuntu will do what I need it to... and it's free).

bibleman

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
The is share files iDisk feature

There is share files iDisk feature.
Use iDisk Site folder. Put in Site folder file you want to share, and send this address to people you want them to download your file:
http://homepage.mac.com/your mobileme name/file you want to share.

And that is it. Try it.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
There is share files iDisk feature.
Use iDisk Site folder. Put in Site folder file you want to share, and send this address to people you want them to download your file:
http://homepage.mac.com/your mobileme name/file you want to share.

And that is it. Try it.

Slightly old thread, but anyway:

This is entirely different to what the people in this thread were discussing.

Apple said it would have a feature that would allow you to give people a link that would let them download a file.

It would be a good feature because:

1) It would be hidden and only accessible to those with the link.
2) You could set the link to time out or only work once.

While the Homepage method will work, it's not very secure and there are still doubts about how long Homepage will keep going.

Thus why Apple announced this feature, but so far has not launched it.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I sure hope apple keeps this feature. I would hate to lose a great feature like this.

I understand that Apple intro'd this feature but with all do respect you can't lose what you never had. If they don't bring it back you haven't lost anything.

aphexii

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2006
I understand that Apple intro'd this feature but with all do respect you can't lose what you never had. If they don't bring it back you haven't lost anything.

I could tell you one thing that would be lost, customers, due to Apple's false advertising :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.