Getting new garageband instruments without buying jampacks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iAtom, Jan 5, 2005.

1. iAtom macrumors member

I am wondering if there is anyway to get new garageband instruments without buying jampacks. I am just not willing to pay $79 (edu discount) when I won't use any loops. I like to make all of my music myself mostly by recording actual guitar, bass and drums, and occasionally with the keyboard. I would record more orchestra type stuff with my MIDI keyboard but there isn't a very good choice of instruments. I found one instrument for download on MacJams but that's all. So If anybody knows a way to get more for cheaper or for free please let me know. Thanks.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....MacJams has a link to WizooSounds where you can find some Garageband compatible sounds.....(oh, and there is a specific forum here for Garageband...perhaps this should have been posted in there)....oh yeah!

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Cool, thanks for that link! I, too, was pondering this same question. Do you know what format Garage Band uses? The download options they list are:
    EXS24
    Giga
    HALion

I'm new to all this MIDI stuff so I don't know which would work with Garage Band.
    Thanks!

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...according to the description from Macjams the EXS24 format is garageband compatible....oh yeah!

5. morningrise macrumors newbie

just google "soundfonts"

the plug in soundFontSynth is really good with garage band.... many other VST plug ins work as well.....

after that just throw your sound fonts in your audio library files under garageband and you should be good to go.

6. kanker macrumors 6502

Umm... VST's don't work in GB unless you use a wrapper. AudioUnits are the plug in format that GB supports.

7. maartenm macrumors newbie

You can buy superb quality pianos!

You can find an excellent set of 5 concert grand pianos at http://www.postpiano.com/products/prod_iteminfo.php?id=168&subCat=iPIANOS

2 x Steinway D, 2 x Bosendorfer 290 and one Yamaha C7, $ 500 000 worth of piano's for only $ 55 :)

I declare my own interest: I built the Mac OS X installer for this product

8. misfit macrumors newbie

exchange parameters?

Isn't it possible to exchange parameters for instruments, say: I have edited an amp or a keyboard in a great way, sounds like (…)? Maybe there's a specific site for this?