Getting one tomorrow....Toshiba vs. 12' PB???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paperinacup, Jul 11, 2005.

1. paperinacup macrumors 6502

These are the specs of all copmuters:

Computer 1: Toshiba
    Intel Pentium M processor 750 at 1.86GHz
    1024MB DDR SDRAM memory (shared)
    100GB EIDE hard drive (5,400 RPM)
    DVD-SuperMulti Double Layer Drive
    15.4" TruBrite™ TFT LCD display; 1280 x 800
    Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    Integrated Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG (802.11b/g) WLAN
    PRICE IS $1399

Computer 2: Toshiba
    Intel Pentium M processor 740 [1.73GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB]
    512 MB Ram
    14.1 WXGA TruBrite LCD Display
    DVD SuperMulti Burner
    100 GB HD
    Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.11b/g)
    Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    PRICE IS $1199 (this is a beautiful computer

OR

Computer 3: PB 12' w/ government discount
    12.1-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    1.5GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    60GB Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce FX
    Go5200 (64MB DDR)
    PRICE IS $1379

I am going to get one of these probably tomorrow and can't decide can you guys give me some comments. I know this is an Apple forum so most will be bias but I am tired of waiting for the 'mysterious update' and need a computer now.

2. advocate macrumors regular

3. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

paper:

I use Windows NT at work and it reminds me every day of how the Mac OS is so much smoother, intergrated, consistent and usable. You don't indicate any OS preference. If it doesn't run OS X then I would not consider it regardless of the specs for my general computing needs.

4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

It all depends on what you would be using it for. I would recommend an apple for everything except games, i have both a PC and a Mac i only use my PC for games.

5. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

Dreamweaver, Flash, heavy Photoshop usage, audio editing, a little video editing, light gaming, then the normal stuff like surfing the internet, word processing.

6. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

7. advocate macrumors regular

Okay, for Photoshop and audio editing I would recommend going with as much RAM as you can - if you can't upgrade the RAM on your PowerBook (budget or purchasing restriction or what have you) then I would say go with Computer 1 just for that reason. As for games, be aware of what's available for each platform, otherwise all three should be great for light gaming. (Heck, World of Warcraft runs fine, though not super smooth, on my PowerBook G4 1.25.)

You'll want to consider what platform you like, too. That's going to be personal preference for the most part. I will tell you, though, that in terms of pure number crunching, the two Pentium M machines are likely to kick the PowerBook's rear end, and also beat it for battery life. I still love my PowerBook with all its warts and dents and find it a pleasure to use but I would definitely also consider a nice P-M based laptop in the current market.

8. mcpix macrumors regular

Although I'm a Mac Fanboy, I'm slowly getting seduced by some of the amazing deals on Windows laptops.

I don't mind paying a small premium to buy a Mac laptop, but Apple has seriously let their price/value ratio slide in comparison to the rest of the laptop market.

9. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

10. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

Well no matter which computer I get I am going to make sure it has AT LEAST 1 gb of ram. Copmuter 1 has OK at the most battery life of 2 and 15 minutes. The toshiba is a pretty good deal though.

11. advocate macrumors regular

Before anyone jumps on us supposed Microsoft fanboys for not pushing an Apple sale, remember that someone who buys a Mac now and finds that it doesn't meet their needs will never buy a Mac again. It has to make sense for the person!

12. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll eventually get a iMac or something whenever they start using intel processors. But the technology that the Powerbooks have just seems kind of played out. I don't really like Windows considering you have to reinstalled it 3-4 times a year but at these prices I could learn to live with it.

13. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

ALSO I'm wondering when the whole Longhorn OS is released will Computer 1 run it smoothly? :confused:

14. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

longhorn comes out when Os 10.5 comes out, I believe late 2006-ish-2007-ish...I don't know enough about longhorn to tel you if ur laptop will be good enough for longhorn...But its a safe bet/guess to say that the laptop should do the job come time for longhorn...

15. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Who cares what machine you get?

Do you want to run OSX or XP?

16. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

Truthfully there is a version of ANY program that I want to run on both OS X and XP. So it really doesn't matter to me. I just can't stand the problems I have with windows sometimes. I previously had a 12' PB (Rev C) that I wasn't exactly amazed by. Now that I no longer have it I need a new computer. But something is telling me to get the Toshiba (1).

17. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

it has been a while since they updated the ibooks and powerbook line, so UNTIL they get an update, go with....the toshiba...

18. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks I needed someone to tell me it was ok lol. I have been waiting for an ibook/powerbook MAJOR update since April. 3 months later I need a computer so I guess I'll goto Costco tomorrow or the next day and pickup my new toshiba.

19. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Enjoy your Toshiba! I am sure it will be fine for you. The Pentium-M's are pretty nice CPU's.

20. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

THanks. I also have 2 pretty beefy PCs at home to take care of the 'heavy' stuff so I hope it works out. The ONLY thing that scares me is Intel Integrated Graphics.
    :mad:

21. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I would say that you have a perfect setup then. The Intel graphics will be fine for 90% of what you may need to do. If you can't do something, then you have the beefy PC's to back you up. Pretty nice scenario.

*Also, the graphics in the PowerBook (at least the 12") are really dated and the Intel graphics are probably better in the end, comparing the two.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That changes things a bit. I would have suggested going for Computer 2, actually, if Computer 2 offered better battery life and was smaller and thinner. However, that was before you said you already had 2 good PCs to run the heavy stuff. If this is the case, I'd actually recommend getting a Powerbook just because 2h15min of battery life on Computer (1) doesn't cut it, and that's the one you want.

Also, Longhorn is thought to have very very high requirements just to get it running, so by the time it comes out, your system may barely run it.

The only thing is that you had a rev C 12" Powerbook and was not happy with it, so I don't know. :confused:

23. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

man go with the powerbook you wont be disapionted osx is worlds better than windows

24. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldnt say OS X is completly better. Each OS has its major advantages.But to buy a comparable copmuter from Apple, I would have to choose the 15' Superdrive and up the ram and get a bigger hard drive. That would run me over $2000.

25. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

I am actually really considering is 512 more ram and 160mhz worth $200.