getting online with parallels using OS X's ethernet address

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mark2288, Jan 9, 2007.

1. mark2288 macrumors regular

here's the deal: i'm at school and my university is allowed to get on the network with either my wireless adapter's address, or my network card's address.

when i use parallels i cannot get online. i changed the virtual ethernet's card MAC address to my MBP's address but this allowed parallels xp to get on, but as expected killed my connection in OS X...

any ideas?

2. devman macrumors 65816

devman

switch from bridged to shared in your parallels network config and then reboot the mac.

3. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

does the MAC address have the be the same under the parallels ethernet adapter or can it be different?

4. devman macrumors 65816

devman

If you switch to shared that becomes moot. In bridged mode OS X is essentially a hub and it and parallels have their own address. In shared mode OS X is essentially a router/nat device and parallels vm is sitting behind it. (I've taken a bit of technical license with what I just wrote - but its good enough to get the point across).

5. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

6. levinefa macrumors newbie

Question. I am trying to even find the place to change from bridged to shared. I am in the same situation, using computer at university, have to use an ethernet cable due to no wireless, and I need to connect to the internet on the Windows side of my computer. Any help?