Getting Powerbook, Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KittenKrusher, Aug 21, 2005.

1. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

I am going to be purchasing a Powerbook this week. I have a question though that doesn't have an answer I guess but I can get some opinions. I will be getting the 17" model and my question is that what are the chances that in September (assusming the PB will be updated) they will into HD screens in them? I don't really care about possibly a 30 MHz boost or anything. The only part that would make me regret my purchase is a HD screen in PB with a higher Res.

I only ask here because there are those of you that have been using Apple computers and been Apple fans much longer that I and have more knowledge on how Apple does their updates. This will be my first Mac :D.

Also, do HD laptops exist or would Apple be the first if this does happen?

- Wes

2. KittenKrusher thread starter macrumors regular

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

IMHO, its not very likely. As the pround owner of a 17" with a 1440x900 resolution, I think things would be too small on the screen going with a higher res.

4. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

The Powerbooks probably won't get HD screens but Iam hoping they will get improved (brighter, sharper) screens.

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think brighter would be an improvement (in really bright rooms it seems a little dim), but I don't have any complains about the sharpness of my screen. Have you tried changing your font smoothing settings? Also, if you do an advanced color calibration, you may improve the way it looks.

6. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I haven't really noticed the lack of brightness -it's just something you get accustomed to. Have you calibrated your display? It makes a world of difference.

aussie_geek

7. proverbs macrumors 6502

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah, I've calibrated it. Its not like its so dim that I can't see it or anything, I just think it could be brighter when I'm using it in class sometimes, but we have two large windows in the back of the room and a bunch of flourescent (sp?) lights in there, so its a really bright room.

But its awesome when they turn the lights off for a powerpoint presentation and my keyboard lights up hehe.

9. tsaxer macrumors regular

Yeah, but the glare from the screen kinda nullifies it for me, just makes them wash out. Looks cool tho.
    Don't think that HD is coming to powerbooks yet, seems like they would probably aim for the regular displays first, but I could be wrong.

10. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I don't think there will be HD displays on any G4 based upcoming PBs.
    PBs are barely powerful enough to play HD content as it is.
    I don't think 30 MHz more power will give it the needed "oomph".