Getting PS2 online

Discussion in 'Games' started by DeSnousa, Mar 21, 2005.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Hi i wanted to get my PS2 online as the title say's. My problem is i have an airport express, but don't want to buy another one (im broke from buying 6.1 speakers). So i waswondering if i could connect the ethernet cord (from the PS2) into my iBook and some how get online through the airport card. Is it possible? and how do i do it if possible?

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You can buy a cheap wired router or hub (not wireless), and hook that to the Airport Extreme...

Or buy a wireless-to-ethernet bridge.

3. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

A wired router or hub would require i huge cord to the airport express, if it would work as it is not an extreme.

I was doing some research what about conecting the ethernet cord to the iBook and than enabling internet sharing

any clues at all.

Thanks

4. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Enable PPPoE on the laptop, and it should be able to share it's internet connection over the ethernet. not sure if the cable should be a cross-over or a patch cable though...

Best of luck

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm pretty sure either will work.

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I do the wired router for my Xbox. But it's somewhat of a pain. Luckly for me my Xbox and AirPort are in the same room.

7. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Cheers

I will be getting it hooked up at the end of the month when its the holiday's and when the net get upgraded to unlimited downloads.

Thanks again.

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I plan on doing the same thing at my home. Here was my idea:

Have a wireless router set up and connected to my DSL modem. Connect my PowerBook to the router wirelessly. Connect the PS2 to the Powerbook using a cross-over cable (I will have to set the ip address of the PS2 to one in the same Ip range as the PB's Built-In Ethernet connection so the 2 can communicate.) Go into Preferences: Sharing and start Internet Sharing. set it up so that I share my connection from Airport to Built-In Ethernet.

That's the plan, just hope it goes that smoothly.
    I might have to set up a new location and set a few things through Network Setup Assistant

note: for 2 devices (computers, consoles, etc.) to directly communicate with each other without a router, hub, or switch, you will need a cross-over cable