Getting ready to buy an iBook, what options to get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by buzlink, Jul 22, 2004.

1. buzlink macrumors member

Apr 9, 2004
    Well I finally decided to get an iBook.
    I was leaning toward the 15" Powerbook, but just can't afford it.

Well I have $2,000 to spend.
    I'm going with the 14" iBook.

What options are a must to get?

I'm going to be getting Office 2004 for school, other then that I'm not sure.
    Is Apple care worth the purchase or .Mac.
    I'm also thinking about a separate keyboard so when I use it at the apartment.

I'm also interested in being able to connect to the Internet wirelessly. Does the iBook have the option built in?

Anything else?
  2. seebol macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2004
    in order to connect wirelessly, you need an airport extreme card--they are built into some models, but must be added on to others. make sure to check on this when you buy the laptop.

My school offers Office 2004 for Mac for free...check to see if your college offers a similar deal.

I've heard extra RAM is nice. But under no circumstances, I've been told, should you buy extra RAM from apple since they overcharge for it.
  3. C-Mezak macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Im sorry but if you have $2000 to spend you really ought to take a look at a powerbook. I bought a 12" recently and it is AMAZING. I almost bought an ibook myself but when I added the options I wanted I was nearly at the price of the powerbook that came standard with all I needed anyway! While ibooks are excellenc computers, powerbooks are more powerful, easier to work with, and will remain useful much longer. Plus they have great resale value!

aaaanyway . . .

you will need to purchase an airport extreme card (no it is not built-in) to connect to a wireless network.

you will probably want more ram (at least 512mb) if youll be doing anything more than word processing and browsing the net. Apple can install it for you, but if you want to save money buy it from and pop it in yourself.

If you want to use a separate keyboard and mouse I would recommend the bluetooth module and a nice set of wireless peripherals.

At this point, Ill point out that airport extreme and bluetooth are both built-in to the powerbooks. Theyre wonderful machines and if you can afford one, theres no reason not to do it!

4. Apmonia macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2003
    If you are just planning on using the laptop for word processing, email, and other basic school-related things, the iBook will be a great choice. The wireless connection on iBooks are supposed to get better reception than the Powerbook, this combined with the price savings make this a great laptop. First off, I would get the Airport Extreme Card and Bluetooth Adaptor. C-Mezak is correct in directing to you to buy extra ram from crucial. As for the Apple Care, I bought it with my 600Mhz iBook and really didn't need it. I haven't had any problems with my laptop, so I doubt I would purchase it again.

Check to see if you are eligible to purchase the iBook from the education store, you might be able to purchase a Powerbook instead.

5. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just got an iBook 2 months ago and it's a great machine. I recommend you get the following:

Airport Extreme Card
    Bluetooth module (it'll come handy if u have a bluetooth phone and it will free up a USB port if you get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse)
    Upgrade RAM to at least 512MB, 768 preferably
    Bigger and faster hard drive (if there is an option)
    Apple Care (you should wait 1 year before you get it though)

However, if you have 2K to spend, you might want to look at a Powerbook because it will have Airport Extreme Card and Bluetooth built in (about $140.00) and will have a faster processor, better graphics card, better screen and better resolution, etc. Factor in your student discount and you should make your budget.
  6. buzlink thread starter macrumors member

Apr 9, 2004
    You can purchase Apple Care after a year?
    I thought you had to get it when you buy the iBook.
  7. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You have up to one year to buy it. Also, consider getting a laptop bag, believe me, you dont want to scratch your new portable.
  8. mikeyfern macrumors member

Mar 3, 2004
    You have the full year (until the warranty ends) to buy Applecare. Keep in mind that the one year warranty only includes 90 days of tech support by phone, unless you buy applecare. I did this for my iPod. It broke after 11 months of use, I called tech support, bought applecare over the phone, and got a new iPod.
  9. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

May 26, 2004
    Dekalb IL
    I just got a 14 inch iBook. You really are going to want to upgrade ram. you need 512 to run OS X well... like its okay with 256 but you will really notice a bog difference with 512. More is even better of course. Airport Extreme is a must also. Even if you dont have wireless at your place, your school might and say you go to starbucks with your iBook... you can be online. You will love it. I wouldnt spend the money on a powerbook if all you are going to be doing is web surfing, email and some other things. Of course if you are a pro user and will be using some big applications then it might be a good thing. DONT GET A 12 INCH.... EVER I sometimes have to use a 12 inch powerbook or iBook... and the screen size really gives me a headache after a few minutes. Basically the 14 inch iBook is a great buy. I love mine a lot.
  10. buzlink thread starter macrumors member

Apr 9, 2004
    THats good to know!!
    Any laptop cases you recommened?
    I like the sleeve things.
  11. vga4life macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2004
    Get a refurb 15" 1.33 GHz combo-drive powerbook for $1699, a refurb 12" 1.33 GHz superdrive powerbook for $1549, or a refurb 12" 1.33 GHz combo-drive powerbook for $1349.

edit: if you have a student discount, you can get brand new powerbooks for $50/100 more. I've generally had good experiences with apple's refurbs, though, and apple refurbs come with a warranty and are eligible for applecare, etc.

All powerbooks include airport extreme and bluetooth, along with much better video chipsets. The 12" powerbook has the same resolution screen as the 14" ibook.

By the time you bring a 14" ibook up to spec with options, you're in the same price range, except the ibook has a video chipset that won't be supported by the new Core Image technology in Tiger (10.4).

Don't be like those suckers who bought 500 MHz ibooks with ATI Rage chipsets that didn't support Quartz Extreme. You have the info, you know Tiger's on the way. Spend your money wisely.

12. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    I strongly recommend going with a Powerbook.

The 12" with superdrive costs $1600 (student price). The ibook with superdrive and bluetooth costs $1624. It has the exact screen resolution as the 14" iBook, so those extra two inches aren't going to give you any more space. The Powerbook can get a 5400 RPM hard drive, which makes is boot and load programs faster. It has a faster processor. It also has the 64MB video card, while the ibook has a 32MB. That is going to be real important because Tiger requires a 64MB video card to use core imaging.

The Powerbook is cheaper and better equiped. I would get the hard drive upgrade, bluetooth logitech mouse, 1 Gig RAM, and incase sleeve. Also, there is a $200 rebate if you get an iPod, so get the 20 gig iPod. Its like getting one for $70.

13. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
  14. buzlink thread starter macrumors member

Apr 9, 2004
    12" Powerbook

Well my Apple Loan account number came in the mail today.
    Looks like I'm going with the Apple 12" Powerbook.
    I still like the looks of the iBook better but got to go with more power!

I just have to decide if how I want to configure it and if I want to do the Cram Jam deal.

Thanks for the input guys.
    I'll keep you updated on what I decide