Getting rid of extra stuff in Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bran, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Bran macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004

I watched my Tiger install. I've noticed it installed a whole bunch of languages and printer drivers that I will not be using.

I love Gimp print and will only be using that, and I only use a handful of languages. Is there any way to get rid of all the extra stuff that got installed by default?

Thanks ahead of time for tips.
  2. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    You can customize the Tiger install to exclude the languages and printer classes you aren't interested in. Search MR for a utility (link) that will remove unwanted languages, although it may not have been updated for Tiger, yet, in which case you might just want to wait.
  3. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I wouldn't fool around with it unless you are desperate for disk space.
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Do you mean Delocaliser? It hasn't been tested (but does work) on 10.3 so I wouldn't be too keen on running it on Tiger. Unless you're really desperate for disk space I would just leave it. Or reinstall again and pay more attention to the custom options.
  5. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    I guess that's it. I always customize my install settings to leave all the extra stuff out, so I've never used Delocalizer, myself.
  6. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i have used delocalizer on 10.3 and it saved me about 1gig ... which was nice

another question, how big is the tiger install? bigger or smaller than 10.3?
  7. newton213 macrumors member

Aug 11, 2004
    A good one that I use is called Cocktail, Coctale, something like that. Macworld recommended it, it'll take out all those Language files u don't want, repair permissions, and also manually perform those Unix maintenance routines if you tell it to, the ones that normally are done at like 5am, but don't get run if you put your computer to sleep. And another way to make sure you don't get that stuff you don't want installed, but it might be too much work for ya, just reinstall Tiger, but customize the installation so it doesn't install that extra stuff. But you've probably got Tiger set up all the way you like already, so yea.

PS- Make sure whatever utility you install has been updated for Tiger BEFORE you run it, cause what works for 10.3 could seriously F up 10.4.
  8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    Delocalizer is great. Even after just installing a few new programs, I run it, and it clears out stuff.
  9. snowdog macrumors member

Jan 21, 2004
    Visby, Sweden
  10. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2003
    Montréal (Canada)
    am I the only one that find it suspicious that he already has Tiger?

Dont even try to convince me that you are a dev since:
    1- dev version should expire soon
    2- dev wouldnt ask that kind of question

Which only means one thing...
  11. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    Maybe he just got it early, like a bunch of other people.
  12. Bran thread starter macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004
    mmm, I must have missed the customizing options then because when I installed Panther before I was able to customize and get rid of the Printer drivers and add in X11. I was also able to do that using the CD's that came with my machine inside of an already bloated Panther. I believe the Tiger installer told me it will take ~4.7GB of space on my drive, it was a fresh install.

I only have a 55GB drive, and there's over 1 gig of junk I wanna get rid of. I'll post back when I figure out how to get rid of the printer drivers.

Why are you trying to flame/troll, go get your copy from a store....