getting rid of iPod engraving

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by buckuxc, Feb 7, 2005.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    hey all,

I have a 15GB 3G iPod I'm looking to sell, but I got it with my name and graduation date on the back. I know I saw a method somewhere of sanding the metal casing to give it a brushed metal look and get rid of the problem of finger prints. Would that work for the engraving? Is there any other to get rid of it? I know this is tantamount to asking about getting rid of a tatoo, but I just thought I'd ask, I'm sure others have been in a similar situation.

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Another option is to get a new back covering... i know a forum member, magid, sell random iPod parts at his site Looks like the backing for a 3g is $15 or $20, so not bad, prolly better than sanding it or something.

I'd start with him. And Magid, do I get a commision or something now? ;)

3. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
  4. diddy macrumors 6502

May 13, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    if you still want to sand it...

I sanded the back of my old 3G just for the hell of it. I wanted it to look brushed but keep all the lettering on the back. I brushed to hard and messed up. The result: no more anything on the back, just brushed metal. So, yes, I think it will work, but Ive never had an engraved iPod. If the engraving is done by the same method as the serial number, I think youre good to go.

Use electrical tape to cover the plastic on all the sides, so you dont have to worry about scratching it. Then, decide how you want it to look. Different strokes with the Brillo give different effects. An 'Appley' look would probably be all the strokes in one direction, making all the little tiny scratches parallell. I did a circular motion. Made it look more matte.

But yes, the fingerprint problem vanishes. Its very nice actually.

However, in all honesty I bet a new back cover like mrgreen suggested would be better, especially if you plan to sell it.
  5. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    iPod 5G will have a new optional back plate on the market:

Mirror, Brush, Clear, etc...... ;) :)

Hey they do it for mobile phones why not. :)
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    If they're gonna give you that option for the iPod, they ought to at least give you that option for Apple's own applications! :D