getting rid of my nano 4gb (1st gen) & getting ipod video: refub or no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phuong, Oct 10, 2006.

1. phuong macrumors 6502a

i initially bought the nano because i thought 4gb was already so much music.
    now i think i was wrong because i often find myself struggling deciding which song to keep and which not (i have a gallery of roughly 100GB of music on my hdd)

also, i recently subscribed to several podcast channels, some of which usually have video podcast, and the nano is incapable of playing that material.

so, i'll sell it for $100 with the dock (although it's only 6 month old but it has my name engraved on its back). and i want to get an ipod video now. question is, should i go for the refub ones or the brand new ones? i have no doubt about the refub's qualities, i just wonder about their specs. i.e., are they from some old series?

i also concern about batteries. is the 3.5 hours of video playback on the 30GB enough?

i've never used a ipod video before, so i've no idea how it is to have one. could somebody share some experience with me?

2. SRSound macrumors 6502

If you can wait, it sounds like there's a big update on the horizon for the iPod family. Either that or I'm just throwing fuel on the rumor fire...

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

how much do you listen to music for on your ipod? i do when i'm on the road, sitting in my office, and sometimes doing experiments... and i rarely go below 50%, but that's just me...

if you dont mind the refurb, i'd say give it a go... i think you can ask apple whether it's gen 5 or gen 5.5

4. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I think you might be amazed at how much slower, quirkier, heavier and bulkier the video model is compared to the Nano.
    I have the video model and its o.k. I just sold my original nano 4Gb and bought the new nano 8GB. I like the speed and size of the Nano way to much to give that up.
    Why not keep your Nano and buy the video, too?

5. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

i only listen to music when i workout, and usually listen to (easy) French podcasts when im on the bus. i spend about 2-3 hours on public transportations everyday. im learning French and recently subscribe to the French podclass (frenchpodclass.com) and i think it's handful when i can see the videos while listening to the lectures. that's why i want the video capability now. i never knew it was slow, quirky and bulky. from the images of them on the web, they don't seem to be that much larger than the nano

[​IMG]

6. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

is it possible that, if i get a refub iPod, it might be engraved? (i.e., with the previous owner's name)? will there be any scratch on it?

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

No, it won't be engraved, and there won't be a scratch on it.

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I just ordered a refurb video and it was practically brand new. No scratches, smudges, fingerprints.. nothing. I don't think I'll ever buy an iPod new again, especially since they've taken away the edu discount.

9. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

It would be the 5G, not the 5.5G as it is dubbed.

11. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Well... There is 5G ipod. This new update has been called the 5.5G iPod, dubbed is a way of saying it has been bestowed that name by people even though it may not officially be it. It could really be the 6G, but it is still the 5G, just a slight update, hence it has been dubbed (read: named) the 5.5G iPod.

13. T-Stex macrumors 6502

He just means that the newest iPods are called the "Generation 5.5" iPods. The newest versions weren't a significant upgrade over the older "Generation 5" iPods, so they aren't officially given a new name.

EDIT: Beaten to it...

14. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

i see. thanks everyone.
    so the only thing separated the 5.5 from 5.0 is the Search feature and gapless playback, correct?
    but i thought gapless is a feature of iTunes 7?

15. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I don't mean to disparage the ipod video: mine works quite well. It's just that the Nano is faster to operate (no disc to access) and rarely gets "stuck". Occasionally, the video model seems to get a bit confused when first starting up, like a person waking dull-witted and slow. Eventually (10-20 seconds) it figures out what's what and starts to play. Maybe the latest version is peppier. As far as the size goes--it's definitely, noticeably a different beast in your pocket. It's much heavier than a Nano--again, relatively speaking. For exercise I'd take the Nano, anyday. But it is so cool to be able to watch educational videos wherever... I say keep the Nano and buy a video ipod, maybe refurbished, if possible.

16. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Refurb for sure

Same product less price. The only difference is the box. You are mental not to get a refurb. I've bought several refurb products and have been very happy with each of them.