Getting rid of Quicktime.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Sep 5, 2005.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Does anyone else seriously dislike Quicktime as much as I do? It has trouble playing many files and I feel like VLC does a way better job than quicktime. Has anyone uninstalled quicktime? And if so, what did you use and how was it?

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

:eek: Quicktime is the best.

As for deleting it i don't think you should as iTunes and other apps are based on the codec and its a major part of the underlining of osx. Just let the app be if you don't like it :)

3. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I have to agree with DeSnousa - Quicktime rocks.

As for the deleting it, you can't as its part of the system, and deleting it could send things into a tizzy.

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

MUCKY probably meant the QuickTime Player application...right? That you probably could delete, although I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Even though VLC can open some things that QuickTime cannot, I find QT Player to be much more stable and I think the interface is cleaner than VLC.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I think he wants to delete it because double-clicking automatically launches QT Player. You may try archiving the QT Player.app into a zip file. That way, double-clicking .avi files will launch VLC player.

I normally just put VLC on the Dock and drag movies into it. Works for me.

6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

If that the problem with .avi and etc, click on the movie (brings up finder), then go to file > get info. There should be an option to 'open with' and then to make it the default app to open a certain file :)

7. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

QuickTime is cool. Especially if you have it with some components that are able play back divx and .avi movies. (Divx, Xvid, 3vix are programs that I am taking about)

The only thing better than QuickTime is QuickTime Pro :D

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

First, as said, deleting all of QuickTime is impossible as it is far too intergrated into the system--a surprising number of apps use it for one thing or another whether you realize it or not.

Second, as DeSnousa outlines, just tell the Finder that you want to use VLC to play all your files, and you'll never see QT Player launch again. You can toss the Player appif you really want, but I don't know why you'd bother, as it'll still play a few files that VLC has trouble with.

9. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Absolutely. I mean, why would anyone who paid a premium for an Apple Computer want to watch videos in fullscreen??? :D

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, that ticks me off big time. I have a little applescript application that allows me to display fullscreen video but seriously, full screen is not a high-end feature.....

11. H&Kie macrumors regular

Beware...

In my early Mac days (OS 9), I wanted to make sure to make a complete fresh install of QT 5, without any remaining QT 4 files. So I started my update by manually removing every QT file I could possibly find. Then a restart... Absolutely nothing to see on my screen anymore!
    Man, was I happy I knew how te start from my install CD...

12. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Where can you get these components?

13. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Does that mean that it's actually implemented but you simply can't switch to fullscreen mode via the menu of the Quicktime shareware version that comes with every new mac? Could you please please post this script?

14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Sure it's frustrating that there are some file formats that Quicktime can't play, but it is a truly great app and it pretty much revolutionized the Mac platform (and ultimately computers in general).

15. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Okay, I'm trying to give Quicktime another chance, but I get this error every time I try to play a certain .mpg file:

it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048)

These work FINE on VLC... anyway I can try to fix this so I can play it on quicktime?

16. Makosuke macrumors 603

.mpg + "Not a file that QuickTime understands" + VLC plays fine = one of two things.

95% chance it's an MPEG2 file (i.e. DVD video). For some reason as bizarre as the lack of a fullscreen mode without paying, the base version of QT does not support these, only MPEG1 files, although if you need to deal with a lot of them you can buy a plugin (from APPLE!) for about $20. Again, why this isn't included by default is a mystery, though I'm sure it has something to do with evil licencing requirements from the MPEG folks.

The other 5% is that it's not an MPEG file at all, but something else that QuickTime doesn't recognize, most often an .ogm file (these are very frequently mislabeled as .avi, but not usually .mpg).

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Apple sells the MPEG2 Quicktime codec, but it does not own it. Sorensen owns the codec and has never shown an inclination to release it to non-paying users.

18. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

QuickTime support many official codec, VLC was having problem violation of license because they include some codec into there player. I love VLC, but let face it, Apple can't put every codec built-in into QuickTime, they gonna be sue damn fast.

Some codec you may find usefull:
    DivX--> www.divx.com
    3ivX--> www.3ivx.com
    Xvid--> http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~naegelic/download/
    FlipforMac--> www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm

With those codec, you should be able to play most file, but I still prefer MPlayerOSX and VLC for .avi file, Quicktime suck with .avi file, sound often get out of sync.

19. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

You can watch movies full screen, just drop the file into your iTunes library and play it there.

20. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

iTunes can play (local) video files full screen. It is merely the QuickTime Player that must be upgraded to Pro to play movies full screen (or movie trailers on Apple's web site/iTunes Music Store trailers).

What most people don't realize is how many different pieces of software Apple must pay a license for to other companies for *each* single copy of the software they sell, either in a box or on a Mac computer.

Until the GIF patent expired Apple had to pay for a royalty to Unisys for *each* copy of the software sold/shipped - and guess what QuickTime decodes GIFs.

Then there are all the codecs Apple bundles in QuickTime such as Sorrenson, Qualcomm PureVoice and more.

This is all an expense in addition to the time and effort developing Mac OS X itself.

So you an either kick in $30 to use QuickTime Player to view full screen movies or just download them and use iTunes to play them full screen for free, or get some free third-party app to view QuickTime movies full screen.

You always have choices.