Getting rid of Right-Click menu items

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markcres, Mar 26, 2007.

1. markcres macrumors 6502

markcres

Hi All,

I had installed some 3rd party apps (Intego Virus and another file managing app) but decided to get rid of them both. There was no uninstall (at the time) so I dragged them to the bin.

My problem is that their context menu entries (when right-click on a file) are still there... so what should I delete to get rid of these??

I tried doing a search in Finder (using their names) but my drive is apparently free of any known traces.. so the last remaining bits must have cryptic names?

Many thanks for any help
    Mark

2. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

If you want to uninstall any other apps I recommend uApp its like appzapper but free if removes all traced of applications.

3. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

Try looking in ~/Library/Contextual Menu Items and moving anything obvious out of that folder to test (move them temporarily, say, to the Desktop). Log out and log in again, and see if the contextual menu items that were bugging you have disappeared: if they have, you're safe to delete the files you moved.

Also look in /Library/Contextual Menu Items. (In other words, look in the Library in the root directory of your hard drive, as well as the Library folder inside your user directory.)