Getting rid of unused space?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iranintoavan, Sep 6, 2006.

1. iranintoavan macrumors regular

iranintoavan

I just got my mac pro in, and I was wondering if there are any guides to getting rid of extra stuff, (languages, drivers, printers). I know at one point I read a really good guide but can't find it now. Thanks in advance.

PS: I am loving my first mac!!!

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Do a google search for "whatsize"

that's a nice free program to list everything on your computer for easy viewing.

I kept my languages, and my print drivers, but you can trash those if you want.

There is a program that can trim your languages, I forget what it's called, someone else will chime in and suggest it.

I would trash your garageband loops, and various iLife demo files, and tutorials. Unless you plan on using garageband a lot. But that's a great way to get more HD space...

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

[chime]De-Localizer[/chime]

4. Pr0jkt macrumors regular

there is a programed called monolanguage it scans your whole computer and you can pick and choose on what you wanna keep. get it from versiontracker.com

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's called Monolingual, and it's a good program (at least it was when I used it a couple of years ago), but there is one huge warning for Intel Mac users. Don't let it delete PPC architectures/system frameworks from your machine...it will break Rosetta and none of your Office/Adobe apps will work. See their FAQ for more info.

6. FredClausen macrumors regular

FredClausen

I googled for "monolanguage" but didn't get anything, but I did google for monolingual and got a hit. I've used it before and its a great program.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I did some cleaning days ago. these are the softwares that are HUGE and sometime useless.

1. iWorks, this stuff will expire in 30 days, after which you will not be able to save the work you made with it, if you are not going to use it, then delete it, size: 1.9GB
    2. GarageBand, well, unless you use it, then you need to get rid of it, size: 2GB, note, the application file is around 100MB, but real library file is HUGE, be sure to use spotlight to search for any file related to it and delete them
    3. iDVD, as described, this stuff is about 1GB in size, mostly themes, delete it if you don't use it
    4. MS Office trial version, about 350MB. even if you buy a retail version, you still need to delete this one before the installation of new one, so just do it now.

8. iranintoavan thread starter macrumors regular

iranintoavan

Alright, I won't delete anything in garageband in case I wanna mess around in it. But since this is my first mac, to delete the iworks and demos and stuff...just go to finder>applications>find the folder or program and drag it to the trash?

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes, for iworks, mostly.

10. iranintoavan thread starter macrumors regular

iranintoavan

Alright guys, thanks. Is there any program for deleting the printer files I don't need? Or am I on my own?

11. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Do you guys recommend doing a clean install of OS X or just deleting all the files?

12. FredClausen macrumors regular

FredClausen

Just delete.

13. NJuul macrumors 6502

A clean install is always nice, then you know what you have on your mac.
    By the way, Macaroni is a great little program that maintains your mac by by performing system maintenance routines, and it can also remove language files.

14. Pr0jkt macrumors regular

sorry for the late reply but the monolingual is the right one i knew it was something similer:D

15. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I reckon if you buy a new computer, re-instal the OS and cut out packaged files that you won't be using. I had to re-format my MacBook's HDD, and i managed to free up ~10GB of stuff which to me is useless (ie iDVD when i don't use it much and i don't have a DVD burner).

I doubt too many of us are going to be reading stuff on our Macs in the dozens of languages they have, or print through the many printers they include drivers for.

16. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I might be missing the point here but is gaining a few extra GB that much really? Mostly if you got a BigMac. I mean mostly if your going to be using it for a pro editing machine, get read for 15GB/hour files. If still not, then from a 250GB Hard Drive, extra 5GB is nothing :confused:

I dunno, I guess im running over 1 Teraflop and just going through a system and taking it apart for an extra 5GB seems kinda pointless, mostly on a machine with a 250GB standard drive that is unless you downgraded to a 160GB HD.

17. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

It's more important to the notebook users that have the 60GB standard HDs ;)

18. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

oh I agree but still then, that extra 5GB will soon be eaten anyways cause 5GB is nothing in todays standard. But the Topic Poster did say he has a MacPro...

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So just to make sure, if I delete garage band and other apps I dont need now, can i add them back using the restore discs? In order to do this, would that mean a complete reinstall?

thanks

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you can, just pop in the disk, and install bundled softwares