getting rise of nations to run on imac g3 400mzh

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macmadant, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

hi, i want to get rise of nations running on my grandfathers iMac g3 dv 400mhz as he likes it when he was round mine and watching me play on it , the game doesn't mind the processor speed but the graphics card lets it down it comes up with a message "rise of nations need at least 32mb vram to run" blah blah, i was wandering if anyone could, create a crack or tamper with the game in order to make it run, although it would be slow i would be grateful,

Antony

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

It also needs a 600Mhz processor so even if you do manage to crack it, it will run extremely slooooooooowly. Its a pretty demanding game when you can have about 1000 units scrambling around.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Doesn't the iMac 400mhz only have an 8MB graphics card? No way that game will run...

4. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes i know, it told me that it needs a 555mhz or faster to run then it said, hold down p on startup to avoid this check, after that it come up with the graphics card message, thanks for posting

5. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah it does, but someone must be able to get it to run, btw it has 640 megs of ram

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Short of re-writing the game to use really low resolution textures and models, it's not gonna work. No simple patch or hack will change that, sorry.

--Eric

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm afraid you're out of luck on this one...even if you could find a way to fool the game into running it would probably be unstable and unplayable when the video card became overwhelmed. That computer is just too old.

You can get about $200-300 for that iMac...which leads me into the three cheapest ways you grandpa can upgrade to a Rise Of Nations-friendly Mac:

Get a used beige G3 or Blue & White G3 tower ($100-$200 plus shipping here), upgrade CPU (here) and video card (here). Add display of your choice and more RAM.

2. Buy a used eMac like this.

3. Option #1 can also be done with a cheaper used G4 tower like these.

Also note that shopping around may produce better deals than what I've shown (Hint: ebay), but I'm afraid there's just no getting around that iMac's old hardware. Such is the nature of games.:(

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the game requires a hardware T&L card, aka a radeon or geforce, annoyingly my ibook is the only mac that shipped with a 16MB t&l card (radeon mobility) so although the game would run on it the messege stops me from playing it.

9. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for your advice but he got this in april i don't think he will do it, nonetheless thanks for your posting ;) :)

10. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

again with mine it's the message that stops me

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I didn't know they even made a 16MB Radeon. :eek:

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yeah, not many do, including games developers, still i'm very very happy it's not a 16MB rage.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Even that would be better than the 6MB Rage Pro Turbo my iMac had. It was like they hoped to mask its low performance with a big name. :rolleyes:

14. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

so there is no way of getting this to run, i wouldn't mind someone showing me how to disable that graphics card message and then taking it from there:confused: