Getting scary calls on my iPhone

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by bonskovsky, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

This is my first contract iPhone, and all day I've been getting these calls from Beaverton, Oregon. These calls were at 2:11 PM, 6:14 PM, and 8:52 PM. These calls are all coming from the same place, but they show up with different numbers.

The phone will continuously ring until answered, and it will stay on the line as long as I'm quiet. But as soon as I say, "Hello." The call is disconnected.

Is this a way of someone trying to steal personal information? Is that possible if a person is on the line long enough they have can get sensitive information about you?

2. macrumors regular

Telemarketer. Annoying, yes, but nothing to worry about.

3. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Start running.
    don't look back

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

Well, something just happened.

I got curious and decided to call the phone number back to see who it was. Crazy me thought it may have been an old friend who couldn't work up the courage to speak to me. I didn't know.

An adult male picks up the phone as if he was a telemarketer. He claimed to be an associate from Wells Fargo. I don't bank with Wells Fargo, so why would they be calling me.

So then he asked me what number it was and I told him my phone number. Then he asked for my name, and I told him my real name.

He said "That's definately not what's in our system," now this is some random person from a bank who knows my name and number.

5. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Well you really better

Now

6. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

No.

...unless you start telling them personal information.

It's an auto-dialer for a telemarketing company. When you answer, it notes that the number is good, and transfers the call to what's supposed to be a live telemarketer, but in your case, is getting disconnected before that's happening. Count yourself lucky. ...except, the stupid machine will probably keep trying to dial you til it connects a call.

----------

No, it's someone from a call center probably calling for a debt collection service representing Wells Fargo, looking for someone whose phone number you now have. Now that hey know the guy they're looking for isn't at that number, you hopefully won't hear from them again.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

Well here's what I'm starting to think, certain carriers come with lower quality numbers. I'm not with AT&T mind you and I can guarantee that the numbers they give you will not be sold to telemarketing.

This is the second number I've gotten and that's because previously a person called my phone claiming that they work for the carrier I have. Though they sounded like they were from Russia. So they called and was like, "I'm here to verify your account so there won't be any surprises. What's the passcode to your account?"

I immediately hung up at the moment. After which I kept getting calls repeatedly. All day long.

8. macrumors 68000

w00t951

Don't blink.

9. macrumors 6502

I personally wouldnt give them any information, i would ask them, what name do you have on file as they are calling you.

10. macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Don't tell them anything. The next time they call, just ask to be placed on their "do not call list" and they should comply. Just keep repeating yourself if needed. That should end it.

11. macrumors 68020

You got it all wrong! You need to have fun with these people. Give them false answers and names. Keep them running in circles and then bring up your theories of alien invasions, the yetti, the end of the world. Keep them on line as long as you can. They get gigged for being on the line too long and accomplishing nothing. When they are ready to hang up, ask to talk to supervisor and go through your theories again. :D

12. macrumors regular

Exactly. I've had the same thing happen to me.

13. macrumors 68020

Solomani

Poltergeist inside your iPhone.

14. macrumors regular

What's the difference between a lower quality number and a higher quality one?

15. shadow puppet, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

wxman2003, that's akin to what I do when religious fanatics knock on my door even though I have a "no soliciting" sign posted. I tell them I can't talk right now because my cauldron is burning in the other room. The look on their faces is priceless! Even better, I had a neighbor who would pretend he was deaf and start using sign language at them. :D

But seriously, I would never give out my real name & number.
    There's too many nutzoids out there...

16. macrumors 601

Uhhh... did we buy a used phone from GraigsList? and the old owner maybe the Mob? :D

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

Do other carriers send you texts as a method of advertising?

18. macrumors 68000

What is your real name?

19. thread starter macrumors 6502

bonskovsky

John Jacob jingleheimer Schmidt of course. I should've told them that. Lol

20. macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

I'd use SpongeBob SquarePants.

21. macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

7730.jpg

22. Guest

Based on the OP's previous threads, I have to conclude that these phone calls didn't take place and are just voices in his head

23. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You know how people get personal information from you? It's not by you breathing, it's by calling back and unknown number and telling them personal information over the phone.

24. macrumors 6502a

25. macrumors 604

A number of Scammers say they are from Wells Fargo, telling you your account is locked and you have to call a number. when you call the number you are asked for your account info "to verify" ..but the number you call is NOT wells Fargo.

There's a site that allows you to key in phone numbers and see if the number is connected to a scam: http://800notes.com/

Key in the number and you will usually find other people are getting the calls as well.

I deal with the telemarketers by assigning their number to a contact "Do Not Answer" with a ringtone of silent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.