Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nogitsune

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Not that I'm aware of, but I could be wrong. Developers seem to code to the lowest common API level.
But they also don't continue to support old operating systems and sometimes new apps are dependent upon newer features an os may introduce.

Whatever way you try to spin it, there is no excuse or rationale for being okay with a new phone being outdated already because it is multiple versions behind. There is a reason why new iPhones don't ship with last gears is Version.

Example would be with windows phone. Many developers were releasing apps only made compatible for windows phone 8 which shut out users in windows phone 7. Thankfully windows phone 7 was no longer the majority and fragmentation isn't an issue in windows phone thankfully but you ran into an issue as well with windows phone 8.1 and buying non lumia phones from htc or Samsung and they do not support their devices as they should. Meaning users were stuck on windows phone 8 for quite sometime and unable me to get features such as cortana and the action center.

That was caused by the oems lack of support.

Fragmentation of course being a much bigger issue in Android arena than it is in the windows phone and there is no fragmentation with windows

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
But they also don't continue to support old operating systems and sometimes new apps are dependent upon newer features an os may introduce.

Whatever way you try to spin it, there is no excuse or rationale for being okay with a new phone being outdated already because it is multiple versions behind. There is a reason why new iPhones don't ship with last gears is Version.

Example would be with windows phone. Many developers were releasing apps only made compatible for windows phone 8 which shut out users in windows phone 7. Thankfully windows phone 7 was no longer the majority and fragmentation isn't an issue in windows phone thankfully but you ran into an issue as well with windows phone 8.1 and buying non lumia phones from htc or Samsung and they do not support their devices as they should. Meaning users were stuck on windows phone 8 for quite sometime and unable me to get features such as cortana and the action center.

That was caused by the oems lack of support.

Fragmentation of course being a much bigger issue in Android arena than it is in the windows phone and there is no fragmentation with windows

Windows Phone 7 vs 8 was a different architecture.

Also, yes, most apps support the lowest version that most people actually use. Also, yes, there is fragmentation in Windows.

Nogitsune

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Windows Phone 7 vs 8 was a different architecture.

Also, yes, most apps support the lowest version that most people actually use. Also, yes, there is fragmentation in Windows.
Windows phone 8 apps can still work on windows phone 7. Just as windows phone 7 apps can work on 8. I would know. I. Jane used the os many years. They just choose not to because by suppprting the older version they weaken their newest version.

Same with developers. They do their best to accommodate the lowest Commom denominator but they still have a cut off point and it
Does nothing when you buy a particular android phone only for it to be left behind and not be updated from its already outdated OS version it was released with.

As far as windows goes, there is really no fragmentation on windows considering that hardware that came with vista likely can run windows 10 if not xp hardware that can run windows 10 and you can get the OS updates whenever you want. Not to mention that programs usually are supported to as low as vista and up to windows 8.1.

So fragmentation on windows is not an issue like it is on android. By no means. No
Matter how you try to paint the picture.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Nonsense. Android apps are less dependent on OS version than iOS. Take for example, Dead Trigger 2 that runs on Android OS version as old as 3.0 (Honeycomb) so five major releases back while it requires iOS 6 or newer so only three iOS major releases. Also, Android is more advanced than iOS with Galaxy Note II from 2012 doing split view and picture-in-picture that iOS 9 will soon get. More importantly Android has full background multitasking support like any modern operating system while iOS does not.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.madfingergames.deadzone

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shadowgun-deadzone/id561048152

iPhone 6 running iOS 8.x can't do what a $25 Moto G can do:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/am-i-the-odd-man-out.1895797/page-2#post-21522864

Reactions: khha4113

Nogitsune

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Nonsense. Android apps are less dependent on OS version than iOS. Take for example, Dead Trigger 2 that runs on Android OS version as old as 3.0 (Honeycomb) so five major releases back while it requires iOS 6 or newer so only three iOS major releases. Also, Android is more advanced than iOS with Galaxy Note II from 2012 doing split view and picture-in-picture that iOS 9 will soon get. More importantly Android has full background multitasking support like any modern operating system while iOS does not.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.madfingergames.deadzone

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shadowgun-deadzone/id561048152

iPhone 6 running iOS 8.x can't do what a $25 Moto G can do:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/am-i-the-odd-man-out.1895797/page-2#post-21522864
That's fine. I don't use iOS religiously so I am not going to defend it. Doesn't change the fact fragmentation is an issue on android regardless. But thank you for the info nonetheless :)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
No. Just no. Don't blame Android for the manufacture's bloatware. I have a Nexus 5 which came with no third party apps installed.

It doesn't have to be third party to be considered bloatware. The OP was specifically referring to the Apple Watch app. There are plenty of 1st party apps on iOS devices that many consider bloat (Stocks, Voice Memo, Newsstand, Tips, etc). Android is subject to exactly the same criticisms--for instance I believe the post that you quoted was inferring about the inclusion of Google+. And while yes, the Nexus isn't subjected to the most commonly referred to bloatware (OEM or Carrier specific apps), the overwhelming majority of Android devices do have it.

Reactions: iMi

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No. Just no. Don't blame Android for the manufacture's bloatware. I have a Nexus 5 which came with no third party apps installed.
Unfortunately for Android it is mostly going to be the manufacturers versions that will be compared because they make up the lions share of devices sold. We can't blame Google no, but they do sell the product for manufacturers to tweak and it's their name that is associated. You never hear people say 'my phone is running Samsung or LG'. Perhaps Google need to be stricter with their product like their competitors are?

pmcdunnough

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
If these devices are going to replace traditional computers some day then Apple needs to stop treating them differently from laptops, especially the iPad.

That's the million dollar question. I am not sure that mobile devices can or even should be laptop replacements. There's the I/o issue, battery life, weight, etc ... The mouse driven OSX would be terrible on something like an iPad. Microsoft has come up with a really nice compromise with their Surface products but you still have weight issues. In any case I don't think the UI and I/o issues have been sorted out enough for Apple to even dream of treating an iPad like a MacBook.

This whole issue used to be relevant when people were obsessed over cooperative versus pre-emptive multitasking. There are other issues with mobile devices. I think the iPad is a very nice compromise. The Surface 3 products are also nice and if laptop performance with tablet convenience is what you want then the Surface 3 is something you might want to consider.

Philip

paul.mellors

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
I totally feel your pain. Gone through the same thing. I work in pro audio and my Mac Pro is still weapon of choice. But....... The devastation of I Work 09 (who in they're right mind removes mail merge from a word processor? ) drove me back to Word and the destruction of Aperture has driven me to the Lightroom / Photoshop subscription service. I no longer need Apple hardware for these things. I could rant for ever but the last year has seen me leave iPhone for S5. Leave ipad for Note Pro 12.2. Superb display. Leave macbook air for Surface Pro 3 (fab bit of kit). I have been Apple exclusive since OS8 on a 9500. Too busy worry about watches instead of pro users I'm afraid.

Reactions: shelt

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Appl...on-starting-with-the-iPhone-6S-series_id71658

^ It's about time.

32GB base iPhone, 2GB of RAM, finally a bump up in megapixels for the camera, and hopefully OIS in the 6S (and not just in the Plus) would be a good start on the hardware front.

A previous rumor pointed to the device being a hair thicker to accommodate the force touch screen. I'm not crazy about this feature, but I'll withhold any real judgement until it's real and tested.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Appl...on-starting-with-the-iPhone-6S-series_id71658

^ It's about time.

32GB base iPhone, 2GB of RAM, finally a bump up in megapixels for the camera, and hopefully OIS in the 6S (and not just in the Plus) would be a good start on the hardware front.

A previous rumor pointed to the device being a hair thicker to accommodate the force touch screen. I'm not crazy about this feature, but I'll withhold any real judgement until it's real and tested.

I think starting at 32GB will be a good move. I'm planning to get a 64GB for my next phone, but I might consider a 32.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Unfortunately for Android it is mostly going to be the manufacturers versions that will be compared because they make up the lions share of devices sold. We can't blame Google no, but they do sell the product for manufacturers to tweak and it's their name that is associated. You never hear people say 'my phone is running Samsung or LG'. Perhaps Google need to be stricter with their product like their competitors are?

The Nexus 6 comes with two email programs, Google Earth, Hangouts as well as Messenger, Google's own office suite, and Google Plus. I don't think we can blame anyone but Google for those. I also don't think they can be removed, but I could be wrong. My Nexus 6 is being used by a friend and I can't check.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Well, my only frustration with Apple was when I updated my iPad 4 to iOS 7. I couldn't downgrade, it lags more than with iOS 6, and Game Center crashes to no avail. I wouldn't make the change to android though.
I have an iPhone 5s and an iPod Touch 5G (Although this one is still on iOS 6, and won't move from there) that work flawlessly. iPad works perfectly too except for that GC bug, that a restore couldn't fix so I gave up.
Sorry for any grammar or vocabulary mistakes, I am from Argentina :)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

^ It's about time.

I hope the jump up to 32gb doesn't mean those of us now used to 64gb will have to pay more yet again. I don't have to worry until the iPhone 7, but it'll be annoying if the old 64gb price creeps back.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The Nexus 6 comes with two email programs, Google Earth, Hangouts as well as Messenger, Google's own office suite, and Google Plus. I don't think we can blame anyone but Google for those. I also don't think they can be removed, but I could be wrong. My Nexus 6 is being used by a friend and I can't check.

They can't be removed normally

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I didn't think so, but wanted to confirm. And people make fun of Apple for putting the Watch App there. Imagine if they had two email apps for no good reason.

More redundant still the old stock email just opened telling you to use GMail app and only way to hide pointless icon is to disable it - you can't delete it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
It doesn't have to be third party to be considered bloatware. The OP was specifically referring to the Apple Watch app. There are plenty of 1st party apps on iOS devices that many consider bloat (Stocks, Voice Memo, Newsstand, Tips, etc). Android is subject to exactly the same criticisms--for instance I believe the post that you quoted was inferring about the inclusion of Google+. And while yes, the Nexus isn't subjected to the most commonly referred to bloatware (OEM or Carrier specific apps), the overwhelming majority of Android devices do have it.

But that is NOT the fault of Android, the point being made is Android bloatware is MADE by the manufacturers like Samsung, not Google.
With iOS the bloatware is made by Apple and installed by them, and Apple make iOS.
If you want to compare bloatware then you need to name Samsung did this, Motorola did that and not Android did this and that if you see what I mean?

That's fine. I don't use iOS religiously so I am not going to defend it. Doesn't change the fact fragmentation is an issue on android regardless. But thank you for the info nonetheless :)

And what fragmentation is there exactly?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
But that is NOT the fault of Android, the point being made is Android bloatware is MADE by the manufacturers like Samsung, not Google.
With iOS the bloatware is made by Apple and installed by them, and Apple make iOS.
If you want to compare bloatware then you need to name Samsung did this, Motorola did that and not Android did this and that if you see what I mean?

You clearly didn't read my post because I was speaking specifically about apps on an Android phone that Google includes (that's what 1st party means ;)). Is Samsung or Motorola responsible for Google+, Keep, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Wallet, Play Books, Play Movies, Play Music, Clock, Drive, News & Weather, or YouTube? All of these apps are included on my GPE device and all put there by Google. And these are as much 'bloat' as any app included on iOS by Apple.

And if you hadn't gotten that far yet, read the posts a couple spots above yours about email apps.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.